The Newcastle and District Electric Lighting Company
(also known as DISCo
) was a private pre-nationalisation UK electric supply company
, set up in 1889. They built a number of small coal-fired power stations
in and around Newcastle upon Tyne
to supply homes and streets with electric lighting
. They also provided power for an electrified tram line
in the western part of the city.
Notable power stations which the company operated include:
In 1948 the company merged into the North Eastern Electricity Board (NEEB), during the nationalisation of the industry.