Bath Stone has been used extensively as a building material throughout southern England for churches, houses and public buildings such as railway stations.
Some of the quarries from which the stone was taken are still in use; however the majority have been converted to other purposes or are being filled in.
Ralph Allen promoted its use in Bath in the early 18th century, including his own mansion at Prior Park, but it was used long before then. Example include religious, residential and industrial buildings. The Royal National Hospital for Rheumatic Diseases, which was founded in 1738 was designed by John Wood the Elder was built with Bath stone donated by Ralph Allen. It is a Grade II listed building. There is a fine pediment, in Bath stone, on the building depicting the parable of the good Samaritan.
The material has also been used widely outside of Bath itself. Claverton Pumping Station at Claverton which was built of Bath Stone around 1810, pumps water from the River Avon to the Kennet and Avon Canal using power from the flow of the River Avon. The stone was also used for the Dundas Aqueduct, which is long with three arches built of Bath Stone, with Doric pilasters, and balustrades at each end.
Much of Bristol Cathedral was built of Bath Stone and the Wills Tower, which is the dominant feature of the Wills Memorial Building, is reinforced concrete faced with Bath and Clipsham stone. Bristol's Cabot Tower was also faced with Bath Stone. Arno's Court Triumphal Arch was built from Bath stone around 1760 and later dismantled before being moved to its current location and rebuilt.
In London the neo-classical Georgian mansion Lancaster House was built from Bath Stone in 1825 for the Duke of York and Albany, the second son of King George III. The brick of Apsley House was fronted with Bath Stone, and several churches including Church of Christ the King, Bloomsbury were built from the material.
In Barnstable the 1855 construction of Butchers Row used Bath Stone.
In Reading the original building Royal Berkshire Hospital of 1839, together with the wings added in the 1860s, are now listed grade II* by English Heritage. They are built of Bath Stone with slate roofs, and the main building comprises 2 storeys and a basement. The frontage has 11 bays, with the central 7 bays forming a projecting pedimented hexastyle portico with Ionic columns. In 1860 the nearby Reading railway station building, in Bath Stone and incorporating a tower and clock, was constructed for the Great Western Railway, who also used it for Chippenham railway station.
In 2002 the East End of Truro Cathedral was completely renovated and restored with some of the ornate Bath stone replaced with harder wearing Syerford stone. In 2005 the West Front was restored similarly. Both projects were supervised by MRDA Architects of London, the Cathedral architects.
Underground extraction of Bath Stone continues in the Corsham area but on a smaller scale than previously. For example, Hanson plc operates Hartham Park Quarry in the Hudswell district (southwest of Pickwick). Other quarries have been re-used. Current examples include primarily defence establishments, but also a wine cellar at Eastlays (near Gastard) and storage for magnetic media (for Off-site Data Protection) at Monk's Park (near Neston).
British defence doctrine during the early Cold War period indicated a requirement for a fallback location for central government outside London, to assume national control in the event of London being destroyed. The quarry complex at Corsham was chosen for this location and development of the site commenced in the 1950s. In the event of imminent nuclear attack, it was assumed that the government would be evacuated from London by rail or helicopter. The facility would provide a safe haven for the Prime Minister, the Cabinet, commanders of the Royal Air Force, Royal Navy, and British Army and supporting civil servants and military personnel. Facilities inside the complex included accommodation and catering for nearly 4,000 people, including a hospital, organic electrical generation and the ability to seal the complex from the outside environment, contaminated by radiation or other threat.
The defence facilities known as Hawthorn and various code name including; Stockwell, Turnstile and Burlington have been built in quarries include Military Command & Control, storage and a fallback seat of national government. Some areas of the quarry complex were hardened and provided with support measures to ensure resilience in the event of a nuclear attack. The site was decommissioned and placed in a state of care & maintenance in the mid 1990s following the fragmentation of the Soviet Union and the end of the cold war. The site has been offered for sale, conditional on a Private Finance Initiative for the continued use of above ground facilities.
The Box Mine consists of a network of tunnels, which originate from stone mining work, initially started during the Roman occupation of Britain. The mine has now been taken over by bats. Up to 10% of the total British population of greater horseshoe bat uses the mine at times; a maximum of 230 individuals of this species have been counted at the site. Lesser Horseshoe Bat also uses the mine, as do the four Myotis species - Whiskered, Brandt's, Natterer's and Daubenton's bats.
Following their closure were used for a variety of purposes, including a mushroom farm and as an Air-raid shelter during the World War II Baedeker raids on Bath. During 1989 a utilities contractor unexpectedly broke through into part of the mines complex whilst excavating a trench, which raised concerns locally which resulted in the then Bath City Council commissioning studies to survey the condition of the mines. It was clear that the mines were in a very unstable state and some experts considered them to be the largest shallowest and most unstable of their kind in Europe. Approximately 80% of the mines, which are up to high and cover a total area of about , had less than cover and as little as in some places.
In March 1999, the then Department of Environment, Transport and Regions (DETR), now known as the Department for Communities and Local Government, announced a Land Stabilisation Programme, based on the Derelict Land Act 1982. A Parliamentary Statutory Instrument (2002 No. 2053) was needed before the work could be undertaken. Foamed concrete has been selected as the solution for the large scale infilling of the old mine works. It is planned that over of foamed concrete will be placed in the shallow underground mines, making it the single largest application of foamed concrete on a project in the United Kingdom.