is a small village
miles east of Mansfield
. Its history can be traced back to the 14th century, although many of the current houses were built in the first half of the 20th century to provide housing for workers at Blidworth Colliery (1926-1989).
Robin Hood Links
According to legend, Will Scarlet
is buried in the churchyard of the Church of St. Mary of the Purification. An unmarked grave stands near the iron gates of the churchyard, formed from the original apex of the church tower and other assorted stones, and is generally attributed to the outlaw. As outlaws were not generally buried in churchyards, though, it is more likely that, if he existed, Will Scarlet was buried in one of the much older graves to be found on the same hillside within the boundaries of Sherwood Forest
Other local legends suggest that Blidworth was the birthplace of Maid Marian, although there is little or no evidence to support these claims.
The Druid Stone
On the outskirts of the village of Blidworth lies a stone known locally as the Druid Stone (Grid Reference: SK5787-558), a pillar of cemented glacial gravel standing on a base of the Nottingham Castle
rock formation (Bunter Pebble Beds). This monumental object is 14ft high, 84ft around the base and has a hollow centre large enough for a man to pass through.
Though known as the Druid Stone there is no evidence to suggest that it has ever been used by Druids, it is a naturally forming outcrop.
Church of St. Mary of the Purification
See Church of St. Mary of the Purification, Blidworth
Blidworth Welfare Football Club
Blidworth Welfare were formed in 1926. They have played in the Central Midlands Football League and the Northern Counties East Football League.
In 1982, they changed their name from Folk House Old Boys F.C. to their present name.
Also see, Wikipedia Page on Blidworth Welfare F.C.
This Subscription Mill was built c. 1816 as a three-storey brick tower windmill. With 3 pairs of millstones, it was working in 1892 but was dismantled some time during the First World War.
It had 4 double patent sails, an ogee cap and an 8-bladed fantail. Millers listed as working the mill include Foster (1842), Edmund Clark (1864 and Thomas Penford (1904).The tower still stands to a height of 26 feet on the west of the village ().
One of the post windmills from Nottingham Forest was moved to Blidworth in the 1850s, and was later moved to Hemsworth. A post windmill at Windmill Close, between Mount Pleasant and Belle Vue Lane was recorded in 1842; the owner was John Need and the tenant miller Thomas Blatherwick. A post windmill in Mill Croft, behind the Wesleyan Chapel, was worked by miller William Holloway in 1864. It was demolished c. 1878.