"Dream On" is the first single by Aerosmith from their 1973 debut album, Aerosmith. Written by lead singer Steven Tyler, this blues-influenced power ballad became their first major hit. Although it peaked at #59 when it was originally released as a single in 1973, it became a Top 10 single in 1976, peaking at #2, when it was re-released as a single. This song was first played live in Willimantic, CT at the Shaboo Inn.
Long a concert staple, the song's piano part has been played live by Tyler. The band has also played "Dream On" with an orchestra on a couple of occasions. In the early 1990s, the band performed the song live with an orchestra for MTV
's 10th Anniversary. A coinciding video directed by Marty Callner
was also created. Additionally, in 2006, Steven Tyler and Joe Perry
performed the song live with the Boston Pops Orchestra
at their Fourth of July spectacular. On September 19, 2006, Aerosmith dedicated the song to captured Israeli soldier Ehud Goldwasser
. On September 22, 2007, at a concert in Atlantic City, New Jersey
, Aerosmith dedicated the song to one of their fans, Monica Massaro, who had been murdered earlier that year.
Appearances on other albums
"Dream On" was one of the band's biggest hits of their career and the highest charting single for them in the 1970s. Consequently, the song appears on almost every Aerosmith greatest hits and live compilation, including:
It also appears on both of the band's box sets.
It is also ranked #172 on Rolling Stone
's list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time
. It frequently rivals "Sweet Emotion
" and "Walk This Way
" for the title of Aerosmith's signature song
Samples and covers
In other media
- This song was used in Buick's commercials, corresponding with their slogan, "Dream Up".
- This song was also used in ESPN SportsCenter's "Images of the Century", a video montage about memorable moments in sports history from the 20th century. The video montage was heavily played on ESPN in the days leading up to January 1, 2000.
- The song made an appearance as the closing theme to the Disney movie Miracle, and was also used in the closing credits of the movie Last Action Hero.
- It was used in the opening cut scene for the Tecmo video game Dead or Alive Ultimate.
- It is sampled in Boulevard of Broken Songs in the mash-up album American Edit.
- It was used in a video tribute to Ken Griffey, Jr. in his return to Seattle on June 22, 2007.
- It was used in a video tribute to Mike Modano upon becoming the top American point scorer in NHL history during the 2006-2007 season.
- In the film Be Cool, Edie Athens says to Chili Palmer, as they are driving by an advertisement for an Aerosmith concert, "Tell me Dream on is not the greatest Rock 'n' Roll song you've ever heard!".
- A re-recorded version of the song appears in Guitar Hero: Aerosmith. It was one of the four songs that Aerosmith re-recorded for the game. It also appears in the demo for the game.
- Before Guitar Hero: Aerosmith was released, the song appeared as free downloadable content for the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 versions of Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock to promote the release of Guitar Hero: Aerosmith. The song was available from February 16, 2008-February 18, 2008.
- Dream On appeared in Episode 49 of Cold Case, sung as Detective Rush witnessed the victim and his (then) girlfriend as they were at the time of his death, driving into the distance in a vintage car.
- "Dream On" was played on HBO Countdown for Oscar De La Hoya - Steven Forbes fight in May 2008