Mana Khemia 2 ~Ochita Gakuen to Renkinjutsushi Tachi~ (マナケミア2 〜おちた学園と錬金術士たち〜) is a console role-playing game developed by Japanese developer Gust for the PlayStation 2. The game was released in Japan on May 29, 2008. The game is a spiritual successor to Gusts's Atelier Iris series, (recognised as Project A10), and the sequel to Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis.
Mana Khemia 2
is classified as console role playing game
and is a direct sequel to Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis
also created by Gust.
Like its predecessor, the core of this game focuses on alchemy through which players can create items, weapons, armors and accessories to be used throughout the duration of the game. These alchemy recipes can be gotten through field explorations, completing certain jobs or bought in shops. Each item has its own special properties, from elemental attributes to special skills (called "Common Skills") which are useful during battle. Like the previous installment, the quality of the items depends on its "Ether Level" which starts at 50 and can either increase or decrease according to the selected elemental attributes on the "alchemy wheel". New recipes can be derived from older ones depending on the ingredient selected during item creation.
In the field, players are confronted by visible monsters. Once a player bumped into a monster, one of the four buttons will be displayed. If the player manage to input the corresponding button within a certain time, the player gets an advantage in battle allowing the characters to strike first. Unlike the first Mana Khemia, players will only have five permanent characters in their group (three in the active party, two in reserve), the sixth being a "Guest" character which will only participate during certain events. Players can also call in the reserve characters for an extra attack or to defend against an incoming attack. The switched out character will have to wait a certain number of turns before being available to switch again.
As more hits are inflicted upon the enemies, the gauge will build up and the "Unite Mode" will initiate once it reached maximum. The "unite Mode" is exactly similar to the "Burst Mode" from the previous game in which damage dealt will be critical and the number of turns for reserve characters to act again reduced. In this installment though, the "Intimate Attack" (known previously as "Co-op Attack") can only be done during "Unite Mode". An "Intimate Attack" is when a character is switched consecutively with the two characters in reserve to initiate a combined attack which dealt more damage than an ordinary attack. There is also a "Finishing Burst", a powerful single character attack which requires the player to fill up another gauge only available during "Unite Mode".
Like the previous game, this game has no levels and depends instead, on the "Growbook" to increase the characters stats. The "Growbook" needs the player to create items through alchemy to unlock slots which contains stat boosts that can be acquired by distributing AP (Ability Points) gained during battle. Adding a little twist in this installment however, is the need to achieve a 100 Ether Level (the highest) for an item, weapon, armor or accessory to unlock the third slot for that sepcific item, making for some planning before using any ingredients in alchemy.
The game is presented as a series of terms at a school. Each term is made up of several weeks, typically starting and ending with an event, ultimately leading to a key battle to be won. In between, the player is generally required to complete two or three courses, earning a grade for how well the course was completed. This is then followed by two or three days of free time. If the player should fail to make a decent cumulative grade by the end of the courses, they will need to spend one day of free time in detention, doing required tasks. Once in free time, the player is free to take jobs with money as a reward, initiate "Character Story" (Or Character Quest compare to the previous game) which reveals more about that character or participate in the "Bazaar" where players can sell items they made and can later on buy those items from shops instead or making them again.
Mana Khemia 2 ~Ochita Gakuen to Renkinjutsushi Tachi~
is released on the PlayStation 2
only. There is still no news on the North America release.
At the start of the game, players are given a choice between two characters: Rozeluxe Meitzen (or Roze for short) or Ulrika Myberg. The events that plays out following the choice of characters differs greatly as Roze's route deals with his past while Ulrika's route deals with the origin of Mana. But in either character's playthrough, the core events will still remain the same (taking alchemy classes and school events), though the jobs available may slightly differ.
The game prologue describes Al-Revis Academy (アルレビス学園 Aru-Rebisu Gakuen), a famous alchemy school which used to be floating, separated from the Lower World (where ordinary humans live). But due to the weakening power of Mana which kept the school afloat, Al-Revis Academy plummets down to the Lower World. It soon manages to adapt to the surroundings with the help of students and teachers and resumes its activities in teaching alchemy.
But due to the school's dwindling budget, they have to search for sponsors to keep the school running and Marta Silweste was given the position of 'Chairman' (理事長 rijichou) of the school due to her being the spokesperson of the sponsors. She proposed to start a new class; 'Art of Battles' (戦闘事実 sentou jijitsu) so that more students will enrole in the school to boost the school's finance. But her main goal is to remove alchemy from the school's syllabus stating that "it's a waste of money" (a rough translation).
Al-Revis Academy's principal, Zeppel (of the previous game) was a little too weak-willed to stop her and he seeks Gunnar (also from the first Mana Khemia) to help and appoints Gunnar as the classroom teacher for the new class; which Roze and Etward enrolls in. Tony (the third recurring character from the previous game) is the homeroom teacher for the alchemy class; with Ulrika, Chloe and Liliane is in.
- If the player decides to play Roze as the main character, the following characters will be playable. People in Ulrika's workshop will be rivals.
- Nickname: Roze
- Birth Date: 7th December
- Blood Type: A
- Age: 16
- Height: 171 cm
- Weight: 64 kg
- Favorite: No Comment
- Dislike: No Comment
- Seiyuu: Daisuke Ono
- Rozeluxe is one of the main characters players are able to chose at the start of the game. He seems to have a sort of pent-up hatred towards Manas due to certain events in his childhood. His only existing relative is his grandfather, Yurugen, who brings him to to the Vehlendorf mansion where he became the servant of the young lady of the house, Liliane (due to his grandfather not being able to earn enough to support the both of them perhaps). Quiet and withdrawn, he usually distances himself from people and doesn't seem fond of interfering with others' problems. He has a kind heart though, and doesn't seem to realize Liliane's obvious crush for him. Early in the game, he was given a Ring of Light by Rewrich, after Roze put the ring on he can't take it off no matter how he try. With his "Ring of Light", he can change his weapon (knife) into a Sword of Light.
- Nickname: Lilia
- Birth Date: 31th August
- Blood Type: AB
- Age: 17
- Height: 155 cm
- Weight: 46 kg
- Favorite: Ro...wait, what are you saying?
- Dislike: Country girl
- Seiyuu: Rina Satou
- Rozeluxe's master and the daughter of the rich and famous Vehlendorf family. Having a big crush on Roze, she brings him along with her when she goes to Al-Revis Academy so that she can be alone with him. She has an over-active imagination and a great liking for Puni-puni (a type of monster common in Atelier Games). Her maid, Wuim, does the actual fighting for her in the game.
- Birth Date: Wuim is a Mana so this doesn't apply
- Blood Type: Wuim is a Mana so this doesn't apply
- Age: ??
- Height: around 150 cm
- Weight: around 45 kg
- Favorite: When her master kind to her
- Dislike: knuckles the head
- Seiyuu: Mai Kadowaki
- Liliane's personal maid whom she brought along to Al-Revis Academy. She sometimes speaks too bluntly about her master and gets "punished" (as in knuckles-to-the-head sort of punishment) by Lilia. Even though Lilia usually pushes her around, she still has a great fondness for Lilia and tries to please her; often causing unwanted results. Wuim is a Water Mana and thus uses water and ice-based skills in battle. Wuim's true form is a mermaid.
- Nickname: Et (エト|Eto)
- Birth Date: 5th May
- Blood Type: O
- Age: 17
- Height: 164 cm
- Weight: 51 kg
- Favorite: Ena
- Dislike: Boring things.
- Seiyuu: Rika Oogaki
- A cheerful, energetic and bubbly girl who is in the same class as Roze. She and her younger brother, Ena, used to be Liliane's playmates when they were younger. She often does things without much thought, dragging Roze along most of the time. Et also has an unhealthy attachment to her younger brother and is often doing things which she thinks is helping Ena out but causes more troubles for him instead.
- Birth Date: Yun is a Mana so this doesn't apply
- Blood Type: Yun is a Mana so this doesn't apply
- Age: Yun is a Mana so this doesn't apply
- Height: 180 cm
- Weight: ?? kg
- Favorite: Easy job with good salary
- Dislike: Hard job with low salary
- Seiyuu: Naoki Yanagi
- Yun is a Fire Mana hired by Liliane for a year's duration (in other words, the time she is in Al-Revis) with 500,000 Cole (the game's currency). He is also the quiet type and does what his employer asks him to do, however absurd it may be. It seems that even though he is a Mana, he doesn't have a "contractor" (unlike Wuim, whose "contractor" is Liliane) and he occasionally picks up jobs whenever he is free; to earn extra money. When he is on the battle, his hair and his claw will get longer.
- Birth Date: 24th February
- Blood Type: No info
- Age: 5
- Height: 102 cm
- Weight: 18 kg
- Favorite: Punii!~
- Dislike: Punini!
- Seiyuu: Ui Miyazaki
- A little girl who was adopted by the Puni Brothers; Taro (the eldest), Jiro (the second) and Saburo (the youngest). Because of that, she can only speak the Puni language. The Puni Brothers brought her to Al-Revis so she could learn the human language and adapt back into human society. Even though Puniyo is normally helpful and co-operative, she seems to have a stubborn streak in her sometimes. Out of the three brothers, Jiro usually carries her around and translates her words to the others.
- If the player decides to play Ulrika as the main character, the following characters will be playable. People in Roze's workshop will be rivals.
- Birth Date: 23th September
- Blood Type: B
- Age: 15
- Height: 156 cm
- Weight: 48 kg
- Favorite: Cute things
- Dislike: Command girl , Annoy boy
- Seiyuu: Ayako Kawasumi
- Ulrika is the one of the two main characters that players can choose at the start of the game. She has a very cheerful personality and is a little bit forgetful at times. In her childhood, she receives a "Mana egg" from a travelling old man who tells her to take good care of it. After 10 years of taking care of it, she decides to enroll in Al-Revis Academy to learn alchemy and to find a way to make the egg hatch so that she would get a Mana of her own. She tends to act without thinking and does not see eye-to-eye with Roze when they first meet.
- Birth Date: 19th November
- Blood Type: A
- Age: 15
- Height: 153cm
- Weight: 41 kg
- Favorite: Dark magic
- Dislike: A person who don't care the other.
- Seiyuu: Yuko Goto
- Ulrika's best friend, whom she drags along with her when Ulrika enrolls in Al-Revis. She has a dark personality and views almost everyone as her guinea pigs to be used in her various experiments. She is mostly quiet, calm and collected though whenever she speaks, her words are either insulting or belittling. She calls the items she makes "omajinai", sort of means "good luck charm" instead of the term "curse" which Ulrika refers it as.
- Nickname: Peperon
- Birth Date: Peperon is a Fairy so this doesn't apply
- Blood Type: Peperon is a Fairy so this doesn't apply
- Age: ??
- Height: 4 times than his master
- Weight: 9 times than his master
- Favorite: Kind Onee-san
- Dislike: Mean Onee-san
- Seiyuu: Jūrōta Kosugi
- A self-proclaimed fairy. He lived in the forest south-east of the school with his "sensei", a Wood fairy, and does odd jobs around the house. He joined Ulrika when she requested his help due to Tony's insistance that her group must consist one male member before venturing into more dangerous areas. Even though he has a big and muscular built, he actually acts like a child, addressing the rest of the workshop members as "onee-san" (to Ulrika and Chloe) and "onii-san" (to Ena). Seems to have known Gotou for a long time.
- Nickname: Ena
- Birth Date: 24th February
- Blood Type: A
- Age: 12
- Height: 140 cm
- Weight: 36 kg
- Favorite: Make a Machine
- Dislike: Annoy Sister
- Seiyuu: Nana Inoue
- Etward's younger brother, who is always trying to avoid getting involved with his older sister. He is in the same class and Puniyo and seems to be able to understand her without needing a translation. He was forced to join Ulrika's atelier when he lied about having joined the atelier when Et tried to recruit him to Roze's. Despite his young age, he acts more like an adult than Ulrika.
- Birth Date: 12th December
- Age: Maybe 29
- Height: 145 cm
- Weight: Up to the thing.
- Favorite: All girls in the world
- Dislike: Envy Mans
- Seiyuu: Ken'ichi Ogata
- A mysterious thing that seems to be friends with Peperon for a long time. His real form is that of the "round ball" he holds. Many girls in the school is attracted to him for unknown reasons, which he says is because of his "passionate eyes, deep voice and cute body" (a rough translation). Incidentally, Marta (the Chairman) has a crush on him.
- Birth Day: 1 July
- Blood Type: ???
- Age: 0
- Height: 60 cm
- Weight: 8 kg
- Favorite: Ulrika
- A Mana who finally emerged from the "Mana Egg" that Ulrika received from an old traveller, after 10 years. It is only capable of saying "Uuu" though it is also able to barely pronounce words which Ulrika tries to teach it (like Ulrika's name, which Uryuu says it as "U-ryuu-ri-ka" instead of "U-ru-ri-ka"). It is quite attached to her and tries to protect her if there is any danger. this Mana has a ability to change people's Hearts. Urxu appears mostly in Ulrika's storyline.
- A woman who is appointed as the "Chairman" of Al-Revis Academy. She is a no-nonsense woman and is the one behind the implementation of the new "Art of Battle" class. She aims to remove the alchemy subject from the school syllabus because she says that it's a "waste of money". Happens to have a crush on Gotou at first sight.
- Nickname: Rew (called by Sasarina)
- Birth Day: 14th November
- Age: 28
- Blood Type: O
- Height: 176 cm
- Weight: 61 kg kg
- A mysterious man possessing the Ring of Light and he is the one who gave Roze a Ring of Light. Later in the game he reveals that he works for someone and the Ring of Light has a duty to kill Mana (Return them to their own world), and if its not used for its original duty the owner will start to turn moody when facing against Mana. In the late of the game, Rewrich tries to kill Urxu but because of Urxu's power his personality changes to someone who only wants Power for fighting.
- Birth Day: 8th January
- Age: 26
- Blood Type: B
- Height: 160 cm
- Weight: 49 kg kg
- Favorite: Rew
- A mysterious archer woman; she and Rewrich are working together. At first she is very energic girl but soon changes into a serious and desireful for the Mana because of Urxu's power
- Yun's younger sister, very good sarcastically to the others but causes Roze and Yun to get into trouble. Actually she is not Yun's sister, her parents have died long ago, her father made a contact with Yun but after they died the only one left is Corona. Yun decided to take care of her but to do that, he has to go and earn money that's why Corona is very selfish because no one teaches her how to do the good manners.
- The eldest of the Puni Brothers, he is playable in Puniyo's Story. He appears mostly in Roze's storyline.
- The second of the Puni Brothers, a lot of time he's seen carrying Puni Yo's on his back; he is playable in Puniyo's Story. He appears mostly in Roze's storyline.
- The youngest of Puni Brother, he is playable in Puniyo's Story. He appears mostly in Roze's storyline.
- Birth Day: 2th March
- Blood Type: O
- Age: 47
- Height: 169 cm
- Weight: 53 kg
- Seiyuu: Kazuhiko Inoue
- Now the principal of Al-Revis Academy, he is still as timid and weak-willed as before. He tries to make the school prosper and retain its former glory but his lack of guts caused him to get pushed around by Marta and even the students. When Marta suggests that the alchemy subject be removed, he seeks out Gunnar, in hopes that he will be able to stop her plans.
- Birth Day: December 10th
- Blood Type: AB
- Age: 34
- Height: 184 cm
- Weight: 76 kg
- Seiyuu: Kenyuu Horiuchi
- The teacher of the "Art of Battle" class that has just been implemented. He is still trying to take over the world and has a secret organization located somewhere underneath the school. For now, he is teaching alchemy (even though he is suppoesed to teach only battle skills) as well as battle skills to his students. He is still fond of appearing and disappearing at will and often thinks up extreme ideas when it comes to a school event or a task for his students to perform. He is Roze's Classroom Teacher. In North American release of the first Mana-Khemia, he is known as Flay Gunnar.
- Birth Day: 30th December
- Blood Type: A
- Age: 32
- Height: 179 cm
- Weight: 65 kg
- Dislike: Gunnar
- Seiyuu: Mitsuaki Madono
- He has been teaching alchemy in Al-Revis Academy for quite some time after the school fell to the Lower World. He still acts like his former self but has a soft side towards his students. Tony often picks fights with Gunnar due to their school-days enmity (in Mana Khemia) and encourages his students to be better than Gunnar's. He is Ulrika's Classroom Teacher.
The soundtrack was composed by Ken Nakagawa and Daisuke Achiwa. It was released May 21, 2008 in Japan by Team Entertainment.
- 希望告げる風～合唱版～ (Kibou Tsugeru Kaze~Gasshouban~ / The Wind That Reveals Hope~Chorus Version~) by Gust Staff
- Namenloses Licht by 一純悠人