Dera Ghazi Khan (ڈیرہ غازی خان) is located in Dera Ghazi Khan District, Punjab, Pakistan. Dera Ghazi Khan is one of the most populous cities in Southern Punjab and it is the largest district in Punjab in terms of area, being approximately 5,306 square miles in extent.
Dera Ghazi Khan was founded in 15th century by Ghazi Khan a Tribal Sardar of Mirani tribe. The old city of Dera Ghazi Khan was situated at the distance of 10 miles towards east of the present city. In 1908, the old city of Dera Ghazi Khan was abolished due to heavy flood in the river Indus. Resultantly the existing city of Dera Ghazi Khan was came into being in the year 1910. The city is divided into different blocks. The British ruler established colonial system in the continent and declared D.G.Khan as district in the year 1849. General Court Land was appointed as first Deputy Commissioner of this District. Keeping in view the rapidly increasing population of the area and deteriorating law and order situation district D.G.Khan was divided in two districts i.e. D.G.Khan and Rajanpur. Presently there are two revenue sub division of the District. A tribal belt/political area spread along with western side of the District.
In 1909-10, this cradle of Mirani civilisation was flooded away by the Indus. Before it was swept away, there was a population of about 23,731 in 1910. The present town was built 10 miles from the old town. It was laid out on a grid pattern comprising 66 blocks with wide long roads and streets. Two open spaces were planned in each block for social gatherings. Some of these have been encroached upon.
The population of the new developed town in 1911 was 18,446. This 2.22% decrease of population was due to dislocation of population which resulted from the erosion of old town.
In the year 1913, the Municipal Committee came in to existence. At that time, the area of the town was very small. Physical growth continued and now the area was about 4 square miles. The major growth of the town has taken place during post 1947 period. The town has largely spread to the north and south; it could not expand to the west due to the danger of hills torrents as the town was affected by the hill torrents in 1955. However, growth has also taken place in the eastern side. Almost all of the new developments in north and east of the planned town are haphazardly built.
The development in the town from 1947 to 1958 remained slow, due to lack of transportation and communication facilities. There was only a boat bridge on river Indus in winter season and steamer service for summer season which linked Dera Ghazi Khan with the rest of the Punjab. Taunsa Barrage on river Indus was completed in 1953 and the pace of development gained momentum. During the last 5 years, 72 industrial units were established. Ghazi Textile mills is another attempt to establish a heavy industrial complex in order to raise the economic base of the town. Main Political Figures: Farooq Ahmed Khan Leghari (Former President of Pakistan), Zulfiqar Ali Khan Khosa (Former Governor of Punjab), Awais Ahmed Khan Leghari (Former IT & Telecomm Minister)
The climate of the town is dry with scanty rain fall. The winter is not very cold and the climate is hot during the major part of the year, but it is very hot in summer. The temperature during summer is usually about 115 F. While during winter season the mercury goes down as far as 40 F.The direction of the winds being North-South through out the year. Due to barren mountain of Koh-Suleman and sandy soil of the area. The summer season of the district usually touches the highest point of temperature. However the winter season of the district remained medium level.
Tomb of Ghazi Khan The tomb of Ghazi Khan was built in the beginning of 15th century. This seems like the tomb of Shah Rukn-e-Alam in Multan. This is present in the Mulla Qaid Shah Graveyard. Its main gate is from eastern side and two small doors are in side of north and south. In it there are 11 graves, which are of the family of Ghazi Khan. Every side of the tomb is 13 feet and 3 inches from inner side and which are conical minarets from out side. Its circular distance from the earth is 17 feet and half. The half diameter of the conical minarets remains 34 inches on the highet of 19 feet. There are 28 ladders from northern side in the internal side. The Graveyard came into being due to the tomb of Ghazi Khan. This is the oldest building of the city Dera Ghazi Khan. Shrine of Pir Adil The shrine of Pir Adil is also the old building of the city. It is situated in northern side of City D.G.Khan at the distance of 25 km. Lots of people from different areas are always use to come at the time of fair. Church Yard In front of central jail there is a residential colony named Canal Colony. The church yard is situated in the northern side of the colony. This is the unique church yard which is situated in the walls on its four sides. This church yard could not spread because of minority of the Christian in the local area. This was came into being in the year 1910. Shah Bagh Mosque After the destruction of the old Dera Ghazi Khan when the people of Dera Ghazi Khan shifted in the new city. This is the first Mosque where they performed their first Jumma Namaz. It is in the Block 7.In the city people performed their first Jumma Namaz behind the Mutawali of the Mosque named Syed Bagh Ali Shah. So this is the first and old mosque of the city. Jamia Masjid This is the biggest Masjid of the city. Which was constructed in year 1916.There is a large pool in the Masjid which is used for making ablution. It has a big hall for saying prayer whose length is 100 feet and width is 45 feet, in which 3000 men can say their prayer at one time. Its courtyard is also big in which 10,000 men can say their prayer. The minarets of the Masjid are 85 feet high in which there are 100 ladders. Masjid Fazal-e-Haq After the Jamia Masjid Block # 3, this is the biggest and oldest Masjid of the city. In which 8000 people can say their prayer at one time. This is situated in the Block 28. Its beginning stone was kept by Maulvi Fazal Haq (Marhoom) who died in the year 1965.Who is buried in the courtyard of this Masjid. Tomb of Sakhi Sarwar Tomb of Sakhi Sarwar is situated 40 km far from D.G.Khan City. Lots of People from all over the Punjab and also from other provinces use to come here at the time of fair. This is the one fair of the District D.G.Khan that always held approximately for one month.
Shrine of Hazrat Shah Ali Ahmad Qadri The shrine of Ali Ahmad Qadri (also known as Qadria Darbar)is located near railway station. He was the sajjada nasheen of Hazrat Shah Kamal Qadri Kaithaly, He migrated from Kaithal (india) and died in 1962. His Urs is held on the first saturday of November every year.Lots of people from different parts of Pakistan come to the Urs.
The River Bank of River Indus The western bank of the river Indus is so beautiful. It is a peaceful and charming picnic point for the peoples of D.G.Khan. From here the view of the river is looks like most beautiful. It is also known as the name of GHAZI GHAT. Ghazi Ghat welcomes the people of upper Punjab before entering in the city D.G.Khan.
Zoo D. G. Khan has also the Zoo. It is the good place for recreation. It has many types of animals and birds. Its entrance is without any ticket. It is also known as wild life park. It is controlled by the Department Deputy Warden.
on the south tip of the city there is a chowk which is called Sangam Chowk it is because Dera Ghazi Khan city is in the centre of Pakistan and on this Chowk you can take to every provincial capital road. Shopping Centres The following shopping Markets/Centres are situated in City D.G.Khan:
D G Khan has a very beautiful cricket ground and city's own hockey club running under the supervision of Friends Club.
Two prominent employers in Dera Ghazi Khan are the D.G.Khan Cement Company and the Al-Ghazi Tractor Company. It is considered that these companies, along with various other flour mills, companies in the cotton, chemical, textile industries, as well as rice, sugar, and ghee mills, form the backbone of the Pakistani economy.
Dera Ghazi Khan is well connected with the country by a wide network of roads, railways and airways.
Also there is an airport, situated 20 KM away from city, on Sakhi Sarwar Road called Dera Ghazi Khan Airport (DEA). It provides weekly 6 flights, 1 for Lahore, 1 for Islamabad and 4 for Karachi. Only flight to Lahore is done by Fokker, the rest of flights are conducted by Boeing 737. PIA is the only airline operating in this area.
There are 2 Degree Colleges for boys, one Commerce College, 2 Colleges for Girls, Divisional Public College, and a Government Institute of Technology.
There are sub-campuses of BZ University Multan and University of Education, and UAF College of Agriculture (constituent college of University of Agriculture Faisalabad). Other prominent educational organisation is Allama Iqbal Open University Centre.
Dera Ghazi Khan is a rich agricultural land with cotton, wheat, sugar, cane, rice, tobacco being the major crops grown. Dera Ghazi Khan is also well known for its dates. The district is now connected by railroad with other parts of the country including Multan, Lahore, Karachi and Quetta. The railway was built by the British before the partition of India.