Definitions

deciduously

Curridge

Curridge is a village in the civil parish of Chieveley in the English county of Berkshire.

Location and character

It is located in the south-east of Chieveley parish, adjoining Hermitage, and its chief population areas are Curridge village, Longlane and the Denison Barracks, home of the 42 Engineer Regiment (Geographic) and the Royal School of Military Survey. Curridge is administered by the unitary authority of West Berkshire.

Much of the local area is deciduously wooded and Faircross Plantation remembers the fact that the hundred court for Faircross Hundred once met there.

History

King Edred's annals of 953 record the village of Custeridge as being given to Alfric, a deed witnessed by the Bishop of Ramsbury. The village's name is said to be derived from 'Cusa's Ridge'. It was a tithing of Chieveley.

The manor of Curridge is known as Prior's Court because it was owned by Poughley Priory in Chaddleworth and the prior held his court there. In August 1207, King John seems to have had a good few days' hunting in West Berkshire. He is reported in Curridge on the 3rd and Chieveley on the 5th.

The School served also as a chapel until 1965, when the last service was held. The ecclesiastical links with Chieveley were severed and Curridge is now linked with Hermitage. The 20th century poet, printer and artist, Ralph Chubb,, lived at Curridge.

References

  • Parts of the text for this page was originally taken, with permission, from www.chieveley.info

Search another word or see deciduouslyon Dictionary | Thesaurus |Spanish
Copyright © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature