in computer science
is the process of creating a data model
by applying formal data model descriptions using data modelling techniques.
Several techniques have been developed for the design of data models. While these methodologies guide data modelers in their work, two different people using the same methodology will often come up with very different results. Most notable are:
- David C. Hay. 1996. Data Model Patterns: Conventions of Thought. New York:Dorset House Publishers, Inc.
- Matthew West, Julian Fowler Developing High Quality Data Models
- Generic Data Modeling
- Gellish English and the Gellish Dictionary and documents about Gellish
- "A Practical Approach to Database Design" in Relational Datebase: Selected Writings by C. J. Date (1986)
- American National Standards Institute. 1975. “ANSI/X3/SPARC Study Group on Data Base Management Systems; Interim Report”. FDT(Bulletin of ACM SIGMOD) 7:2.
- Len Silverston 2001. The Data Model Resource Book Volume 1. John Wiley & Sons ISBN 0-471-38023-7
- Len Silverston 2001. The Data Model Resource Book Volume 2. John Wiley & Sons ISBN 0-471-35348-5