Culzean Castle (pronounced cull-ANE: see yogh) is a castle near Maybole, Carrick on the Ayrshire coast of Scotland. It is the former home of the Marquess of Ailsa but is now owned by the National Trust for Scotland. The clifftop castle lies within the Culzean Castle Country Park and is opened to the public. The castle is also famous for appearing on the back of five pound notes issued by the Royal Bank of Scotland.
Culzean castle was the constructed as an L Plan Castle by order of David Kennedy, 10th Earl of Cassilis. He instructed the architect Robert Adam to rebuild a previous, but more basic, stately house into a fine castle to be the seat of his earldom. The castle was built in stages between 1777 and 1792. It incorporates a large drum tower with a circular saloon inside (which overlooks the sea), a grand oval staircase and a suite of well-appointed apartments.
In 1945, the Kennedy/Anderson family partially gave the castle and its grounds to the National Trust for Scotland (thus avoiding inheritance tax). In doing so, they stipulated that the apartment at the top of the castle be given to General Dwight Eisenhower in recognition of his role as Supreme Commander of the Allied Forces in Europe during the Second World War. The General first visited Culzean Castle in 1946 and stayed there four times, including once while President of the United States. An Eisenhower exhibition occupies one of the rooms, with mementoes of his lifetime.
The Ayrshire (Earl of Carrick's Own) Yeomanry, a British Yeomanry Cavalry Regiment, was formed by The Earl of Cassillis at Culzean Castle in about 1794. On the 24th June 1961 the Regiment retrned to the castle to be presented with its first Guidon by General Sir Horatius Murray KBE CB DSO.
To the north of the castle is a bay containing the Gas House, which provided town gas for the castle up until 1940. This group of buildings contsists of the Gas Manager's house (now containing an exhibition on William Murdoch), The Retort House and the remains of the gasometer.
There are sea caves beneath the castle which are currently off limits to visitors. Although there are plans on turning them into a museum.
The castle is available for accommodation and wedding ceremonies.
The Most Haunted team lead by Yvette Fielding, Karl Beattie and medium Derek Acorah explored Culzean Castle's paranormal stories and reported sighting of ghosts for one of their episodes of their first series, which aired on Living TV in 2002.
Days Out: Cliff-Top Treasure; Alec and Elaine Finney Took Their Children, Ross, 14, and Caron, 10, to Culzean Castle and Country Park in Ayrshire
Nov 18, 2000; Byline: Julie MacCaskill What were your first impressions? Alec: I was absolutely amazed at just how big it was. It is set in an...