Country Home magazine
, published by Meredith Corporation
(NYSE: MDP) presents ideas that are relevant to all aspects of readers’ lifestyles, including decorating and collecting, food and entertaining, fashion and well-being, travel and shopping. Country Home
showcases all types of casual decorating styles from contemporary, eclectic to romantic and rustic to urban for readers who live a country lifestyle, or aspire to create one, in city lofts, farmhouses, suburban colonials, getaway cottages or wherever else they make their home. Country Home
, which launched in 1984
, is published 10 times a years and each issue has over 8.3 million readers.
Every issue of Country Home
provides readers with Inspiration, Ideas, Products, Projects, Places, Faces, Tips, Trips, and More. Sections in every issue include:
- The Nest: projects and products to help readers layer personality into their homes. Includes real-life, doable makeovers and easy and original decorating ideas. Columns include, Fresh Thinking where readers can learn about eco-friendly projects, tips and products to bring green living to their homes.
- We Love It: A style guide to the month filled with ideas, products, shops, services, fashion and seasonal surprises.
- Collect It: A section devoted to helping readers discover and decorate with the things they love, favorite finds from the vintage to the reclaimed.
- The Dish: Eating and entertaining for today’s country tables, including quick recipes, where to eat, what to drink, trends and tips, plus the faces and places behind the new tastes of country.
- Shopgirl: For women who want to take home repairs into their own capable hands, Shopgirl, Country Home’s home care, repair and design expert offers DIY advice, tips, products and projects in each issue.
Country Home editors include:
LuAnn Brandsen is the Editor-in-Chief of Country Home magazine. Previously, Brandsen was Editor of Renovation Style magazine. She has also served as Editor of Country Gardens magazine and Garden Editor of Country Home. Brandsen holds two master’s degrees from the University of Missouri – Columbia, one in photojournalism and one in magazine journalism. She also received a bachelor’s degree in English from Calvin College in Michigan.
Carol Sheehan is an Editor-at-Large for Country Home. Sheehan was the Editor-in-Chief of the magazine from 1997 to 2007. A nationally-known and respected lifestyle editor, Sheehan was the founding editor of Countryside magazine from 1989 to 1991. Before that, she was the Editor-in-Chief of the following magazines: Decorating Remodeling, Dallas-Fort Worth Home & Garden and Houston Home & Garden. Sheehan and former Country Home Creative Director Mary Emmerling published two books as part of the Country Home franchise, Country Home New Country Style (2001) and Country Home Quick Country Decorating (2000). Both were published by Meredith Books. Sheehan has also authored several books, including Living with Dogs (1999) . and The Gardener's Life (2004).
Country Home personalities include:
- Ki Nassauer and Sue Whitney are the original JunkMarket Masters. Nassauer and Whitney have been Editors-at-Large and columnists for Country Home since 2003. In addition to appearing in every issue of Country Home, they published a magazine special of their own in 2006, JunkMarket Style, and a book, Decorating JunkMarket Style, in 2005. They don’t see junk; they see one-of-a-kind furniture, whimsical accessories and renewed uses for recycled nostalgia.
- Home improvement expert Leslie Segrete joined Country Home as an Editor-at-Large in 2007. She shares her home-improvement expertise in the ‘Shopgirl’ column every month by taking readers through stylish, simple, and engaging home improvement projects for the do-it-herself decorator. Segrete knows what turns a house into a home and has the tips and ideas to make improvements easy and fun. Leslie appears frequently as a contributor for Today (NBC Program) and is also the lead designer for a brand new exterior makeover television show on the We Network that helps promote beautiful communities through a neighborly effort.
- Danny Seo joined the Country Home team in March 2006 as Style Editor at Large. As America's leading lifestyle authority on modern, eco-friendly living, Seo shares his expertise with Country Home readers each month in his column ‘Fresh Thinking.’ Seo also produces and edits celebrity features for the magazine – all while hosting a television show, “Simply Green with Danny Seo,” on the LIME cable channel, hosting a companion radio show on Sirius Satellite Radio and working on a host of other projects.
- Matthew Mead has been a Style Editor-at-Large for Country Home since 1998, bringing his fresh decorating and design ideas to readers each month. Mead offers his signature style and ‘simple and doable’ projects through Country Home, his signature magazine, Holiday with Matthew Mead, his Web site, events and styling opportunities, books, photography and products.
- Lisa Holderness joined Country Home as Food & Entertaining Editor in 2003. Before joining Country Home, Holderness had an extensive career in food and editorial production.
- Katherine Whiteside, an internationally published writer and author specializing in garden lifestyle and history, how-to gardening, cooking and travel, joined Country Home as Garden Editor-at-Large in 2007. Whiteside is responsible for writing a garden column as well as the garden features. In addition to her Country Home position, Whiteside is the garden contributor for The Huffington Post and the outdoor lifestyle spokesperson for The Propane Research and Education Council. Whiteside is also a Member of the Board for The National Gardening Association. A published writer and author, Whiteside has penned six books, including the recently released The Way We Garden Now (2007:Random House-Clarkson Potter), a new hip and humorous garden primer for both novices and more experienced gardeners.
References & Sources
- Country Home mission statement, 2006
- Fall 2006 Mediamark Research Inc. (MRI) statistics
- Country Home sections as definted in magazine table of contents, 2006
- Country Home New Country Style (2001) ISBN 0-696-21023-1
- Country Home Quick Country Decorating (2000) ISBN 0-696-21179-3
- Living with Dogs (1999) ISBN 0-517-70875-2
- The Gardener's Life (2004) ISBN 0-609-60939-4
- American Country (1980) ISBN 0-517-57168-4
- Art of the Cross (2006) ISBN 1-4236-0115-7
- 1998 Daytime Emmy for Outstanding Service Show, Academy of Television Arts & Sciences
- Decorating JunkMarket Style (2006) ISBN 0-696-22282-5
- Take me road, country home, to the place, I belong