is a small township
and agricultural district in the south-east of Tasmania
. Part of the Bream Creek
district, it was named after Captain Richard Copping
, who purchased a property here from George Moore in 1860 upon which he settled three of his half-brothers as tenant farmers. Captain Copping established his own property Rochford Hall
nearby at Kellevie
Copping gained some notoriety when it was revealed that, Martin Bryant lived there for a number of years in the 1980's.].
- Walker, Ian Tall Ships and Cannibals - The Story of Captain Richard Copping of Hobart Town. 2006, Hobart, Tasmania: Navarine Publishing.