The Maharashtra Pollution Control Board
(established September 7
) implements a range of environmental legislation in the state of Maharashtra
. The MPCB functions under the administrative control of Environment Department of the Government of Maharashtra.
It is mainly responsible for:
- Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1974,
- Air (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1981,
- Water (Cess) Act, 1977
- Some of the provisions under Environmental (Protection) Act, 1986 and the rules framed under this like:
- Biomedical Waste (M&H) Rules, 1998,
- Hazardous Waste (M&H) Rules, 2000,
- Municipal Solid Waste Rules, 2000 etc.
It was established under the provisions of Maharashtra Prevention of Water Pollution Act, 1969.
Some of the important functions of MPCB are;
- To plan comprehensive program for the prevention, control or abatement of pollution and secure executions thereof,
- To collect and disseminate information relating to pollution and the prevention, control or abatement thereof,
- To inspect sewage or trade effluent treatment and disposal facilities, and air pollution control systems and to review plans, specification or any other data relating to the treatment plants, disposal systems and air pollution control systems in connection with the consent granted,
- Supporting and encouraging the developments in the fields of pollution control, waste recycle reuse, eco-friendly practices etc.
- To educate and guide the entrepreneurs in improving environment by suggesting appropriate pollution control technologies and techniques
- Creation of public awareness about the clean and healthy environment and attending the public complaints regarding pollution.