The MG Y-Type was a small saloon car built by the MG Car Company between 1947 and 1953.
When production ceased in 1953 8,336 “Y” Types had been produced, the breakdown being: 6,151 “YA”s (including 9 cars supplied to Swiss and Italian custom coachbuilders for special bodies), 1,301 “YB”s and 877 “Y” Tourers.
The prototype “Y” Type was constructed in 1939 with an intended launch at the Earls Court Motor show, the following year. However, as a result of the hostilities the public had to wait a further eight years before production commenced. All prototypes originating from the MG Factory at Abingdon were allocated numbers prefixed by the letters EX; this practice continued until the mid-fifties. Although the prototype of the MG “Y” Type was primarily a Morris concept from Cowley, much of the ‘fleshing out’ was completed at Abingdon. As a result it was allocated the prototype number EX.166.
When the car was launched the MG Sales Literature stated “A brilliant new Member of the famous MG breed. This new One and a Quarter Litre car perpetuates the outstanding characteristics of its successful predecessors – virile acceleration, remarkable ‘road manner,’ instant response to controls, and superb braking. A ‘lively’ car, the new One and a Quarter Litre provides higher standards of performance.” The UK price of the car was £525.0.0 ex works plus purchase tax of £146.11.8d.
The car featured an independent front suspension layout designed by Gerald Plamer and Jack Daniels (an MG Draughtsman). Independent front suspension was very much the latest technology at the time and the “Y” Type became the first Nuffield product and one of the first British production cars with this feature. The separate chassis facilitated the ‘Jackall System’, which consisted of four hydraulically activated rams that were clamped to the chassis, two at the front and two at the rear. The jacks were connected to a Jackall Pump on the bulkhead that enabled the front, the back, or the entire car to be raised to facilitate a wheel change.
The MG “Y” Type had an extremely high standard of interior furnishing and finish, in accordance with the best British traditions. The facing surfaces of all seats were leather, as were the door pockets. The rear of the front seats were made from Rexine, a form of leathercloth, which matched the leather fronts, as were the door panels themselves. A roller blind was fitted to the rear window as an anti-dazzle mechanism (not a privacy screen as many think).
Considerable use of wood was made in the internal trim of the “Y” Type, where it was a major feature of the inside finish. Door windows, front and rear screens were framed in burl walnut, and the instrument panel was set in a bookmatched veneer panel offsetting the glove box in front of the passenger.
The Instruments themselves, a speedometer (and clock) and a three-gauge cluster of oil pressure, fuel and charging (amps), were cleverly placed behind octagonal chrome frames. A subtle carry through of the MG badge theme that was to be replicated later in the MG TF.
A car tested by the British magazine The Motor in 1951 had a top speed of and could accelerate from 0- in 29.9 seconds. A fuel consumption of was recorded. The test car cost £880 including taxes.
The idea of the open four-seat tourer had been popular before the war and in theory there was still a market. As a result a “TC” specification of the XPAG engine was married to a pressed-steel open body with fully folding hood and coach built doors.
The MG “Y/T” was launched at the Motor Show in 1948. However, it was available for export only but would be available in both Right and Left hand drive models. Only 877 of these cars were produced when production ceased in 1950 - it was not the success that MG had hoped for, and indeed other British manufacturers were also having problems selling open tourer versions of their saloons.
The “YT” Tourer did not benefit from ‘displayed’ woodwork but had the same standard of seat trim. It did have more instrumentation, in that there was a tachometer (or Rev counter) in front of the driver, the speedometer was positioned in front of the passenger with a central bank of subsidiary dials in the centre giving a similar sporting appearance to the TC with a "double scuttle" dash.
Road holding was also improved by the introduction of smaller wheels (the “Y” and the “Y/T” both had wheels). The “YB” also had an anti-roll bar fitted to the front of the car and stronger shock absorbers, or dampers, were fitted.
Little else was changed about the car, which was by now looking extremely dated as single unitary body (or monocoque construction) was becoming common place. The YB soldiered on until the end of 1953 and the MG ZA Magnette was introduced in 1954.
Ruggedized USB Connector meets high-stress application needs.(New Durable USB Connector Ideal for the Most Challenging, High Stress Applications)
Jul 08, 2011; Able to connect to USB 2.0 or 1.1 ports, ruggedly constructed Type A right-angle mounted USB connector carries 1.5 A current...