The Confederate War Memorial in Dallas, Texas, is a monument commemorating the deeds of those who fought on the Confederate side of the American Civil War, including four of its greatest leaders. The monument is located in Pioneer Park in downtown Dallas, next to the Dallas Convention Center. Next to the monument is Pioneer Cemetery, a conglomeration of four graveyards with the remains of several of the city’s earliest founders.
The monument is made of granite and marble, with a 60 foot pillar rising into the sky topped with a Confederate soldier. The letters “CSA” (for Confederate States of America) and a medallion of “Old Tice” are engraved on the front of the monument base, above the motto “Confederate” and a dedication stone. The other three sides pay homage to the cavalry, infantry, and naval forces. Surrounding the base are statues of General Robert E. Lee, General Stonewall Jackson, General Albert Johnston, and President Jefferson Davis.
The monument was built by Frank Teich of San Antonio, Texas, and dedicated by the United Daughters of the Confederacy, Dallas Chapter. No.6, on June 25th, 1896. The inscription on the south-facing side below the medallion reads, “The brazen lips of Southern cannon thundered an unanswered anthem to the God of Battle.” The northern face is decorated with an anchor, and reads, “It was given the genius and valor of Confederate seamen to revolutionize naval warfare over the earth.” Below the writing, another inscription says, “This stone shall crumble into dust ere the deathless devotion of Southern women be forgotten.” The east side inscription is below an engraving of crossed swords and reads, “The Confederate sabreur kissed his blade homeward riding on into the mouth of hell.” The west side is decorated with crossed rifles, and reads, “Confederate infantry drove bayonets through columns that never before reeled to the shock of battle.”