Competence is the ability to perform a specific task, action or function successfully. Incompetence is its opposite.
- Competence (biology), the ability of a cell to take up DNA
- Competence (human resources), a standardized requirement for an individual to properly perform a specific job
- Competence (law), the mental capacity of an individual to participate in legal proceedings
- Jurisdiction, the authority of a legal body to deal with and make pronouncements on legal matters and, by implication, to administer justice within a defined area of responsibility
- Linguistic competence, the ability to speak and understand language in a grammatically correct manner