Broomhill ward—which includes the districts of Broomhill, Crookesmoor, Endcliffe, and Tapton—is one of the 28 electoral wards in City of Sheffield, England. It is located in the western part of the city and covers an area of 2.7 km2. The population of this ward in 2001 was 16,800 people in 5,700 households. Broomhill ward is currently one of the five wards that make up the Sheffield Hallam Parliamentary constituency, however, the Boundary Commission has recommended (in its final report of 14/09/05) that it become part of Sheffield Central at the next General Election.
There were a few houses within this area, some of them encroachments on the common land, and a huddle of cottages to the east of the present Botanical Gardens, including an inn "The Ball in the Tree", demolished in 1870. The suburb takes its name from the house built by William Newbould on land to the east of Newbould Lane in 1792, to which he gave the name of "Broomhill", for the simple reason that it was the first house above Broomhall, and was on a hill.
A few more large houses with considerable grounds were built during the next 30 years, but the real beginning of Broomhill was when the turnpike road to Glossop was opened in 1821. Terraces as well as bigger houses followed the road and the first back-to-back houses were built in Peel Street in 1827. Houses also crept down from Crookes as far as Hoole Road, this area being known as Mount Pisgah, a pun on the biblical reference of Moses viewing the holy land from there, since all the land that could be seen to the east was owned by the Holy family. By the early 1830s Broomhill had five public houses, the Ball, Broomhill Tavern, Fox & Duck, Southseas, and the Travellers Inn, and a few shops. Whilst growth was steady, the 1840s were years of depression and growth only really resumed in the 1850s when the land above and along Fulwood Road was developed. Most of the former household names in the steel and cutlery industry lived or passed through Broomhill, as did many of the founders of the stores in town, brewers, solicitors and medical practitioners. There was always a fairly substantial population of artisans and small shopkeepers, to service the bigger houses. The shopping centre was the best suburban one and probably reached its peak during the second world war when several stores and shops that had been bombed out in the city came to Broomhill, the foremost being John Walsh Ltd., which moved into the Mount.
The area now contains most of the Halls of Residence of the University of Sheffield, and is also home to many other students in privately owned accommodation. Many locals use the name 'Broomhill' to refer to the parade of shops on Fulwood Road, including the Broomhill Friery and several other takeaways, 4 pubs, a Somerfield supermarket and many other local shops and banks.
Broomhill is a suburb of western Sheffield, England. Largely developed in the nineteenth century, its notable buildings include Broomhill Church, The Mount and King Edward VII School, the latter two listed buildings both designed by William Flockton. The area lies just west of the main campus of the University of Sheffield, it is known for its large student population, and has been identified (2003) as the highest ranking area outside London for overall wealth
The centre of Broomhill is a conservation area, while numerous hospitals and the Sheffield Botanical Gardens lie on its borders. The Yorkshire Ripper, Peter Sutcliffe, was arrested in the area, on Melbourne Avenue, which runs through the middle of Sheffield High School.