The move for incorporation followed several years of significant growth in West Grove that began to develop with the coming of the Philadelphia and Baltimore Central Railroad in 1860. The March 28, 1885 Daily Local News described West Grove as "one of the most flourishing villages in this county" and stated that "it contains some three flouring mills and the largest nursery for rose culture (see below) in the United States (Dinger & Conrad, Co.), a large casket factory (Paxson Comfort) and a large number of dwellings". In May 1885, the Chester County Democrat reported that thirty new homes were under construction in the village of West Grove.
The "Father of West Grove" was Joseph Pyle. Born in Penn Township in 1836, Joseph Pyle opened a general store in 1860 in the brick building that now houses the Rite Aid Pharmacy, once was Eckerd Pharmacy, and before that; West Grove Pharmacy. This building was constructed by Pyle and is believed to be the oldest brick structure in the center of town. Joseph Pyle constructed many of the commercial buildings along the present-day Exchange Place including the Roselyn Theater Building in 1867 (torn down in 1980), the National Bank of West Grove Building in 1883 and the K&P Building in 1885. Appointed postmaster of the borough by President Lincoln in 1864, Pyle served twenty-two years. Furthermore, Pyle introduced the manufacture of brick, planned and installed the first public water system, was President of the West Grove Improvement Company which financed the construction of the casket factory in 1885, served on Borough Council and was Burgess (Mayor) from 1900-1903.
The first election of borough officials was held in the West Grove Hotel on February 20, 1894. John P. Cheyney was elected the first Burgess (Mayor) in what amounted to a Democratic landslide. The Democrats won every office including Mayor, six school directors, two Squires, Constable, Assessor and Tax Collector, two Assistant Assessors, three Auditors, Town Clerk and High Constable. The first council meeting was held March 6, 1894 in the Library Room on the second floor of the National Bank Building on Exchange Place.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 0.6 square miles (1.6 km²), all of it land.
There were 864 households out of which 45.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.4% were married couples living together, 14.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 21.4% were non-families. 16.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.05 and the average family size was 3.39.
In the borough the population was spread out with 31.1% under the age of 18, 9.1% from 18 to 24, 35.7% from 25 to 44, 15.9% from 45 to 64, and 8.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 32 years. For every 100 females there were 95.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.8 males.
The median income for a household in the borough was $56,875, and the median income for a family was $60,274. Males had a median income of $43,657 versus $30,144 for females. The per capita income for the borough was $19,967. About 4.7% of families and 8.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 5.5% of those under age 18 and 11.1% of those age 65 or over.