Archbishop Quigley Preparatory Seminary was a United States high school administered by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago for young men considering the priesthood. Located in downtown Chicago, Illinois at 103 East Chestnut Street adjacent to Loyola University Chicago and near Water Tower Place, it closed on June 22, 2007, and will become the Pastoral Center and headquarters of the Archdiocese after a year of renovations.
The predecessor of the school, Cathedral College of the Sacred Heart, was founded in 1905. George Cardinal Mundelein announced plans in 1916 for the building of a preparatory seminary at Rush and Chestnut in downtown Chicago, and named the school in honor of his predecessor, Archbishop James Edward Quigley.
Echoing the educational theories of Johann Wolfgang Goethe, Cardinal Mundelein surrounded Quigley students with great architectural beauty:
"This will unquestionably be the most beautiful building here in Chicago, not excluding the various buildings of the University of Chicago."
Quigley's Chapel of St. James, with stained glass modeled after Sainte-Chapelle in Paris, was dedicated upon the seventy-fifth anniversary of the Archdiocese of Chicago and Mundelein's twenty-fifth priestly ordination on June 10, 1920. Designed by the architecture firm of Gustav Steinbeck of New York and Zachary Taylor Davis, with stained glass by Robert Giles of the John J. Kinsella Company of Chicago, it is today listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and is one of Chicago's most breathtaking spiritual spaces.
The Quigley seminaries have educated almost 2,500 priests, two cardinals, over forty-one bishops, two Vatican II periti, separate recipients of the Medal of Honor and the Presidential Medal of Freedom, and, in sports, two members of the Basketball Hall of Fame, making significant contributions through Quigley alumni to the quality of life in America and beyond, and within Catholicism in particular.
Archbishop James E. Quigley began plans for a minor seminary in Chicago in July 1903, shortly after his installation. Only 417 diocesan and 149 order priests then served Chicago's 252 parishes, with a city population nearing 1.7 million, and with the archdiocese's then boundaries extending across northern Illinois. Quigley recruited Rev. Francis Andrew Purcell to head the new minor seminary, and dispatched him to the College Propaganda Fide in Rome to earn a doctorate in divinity.
The site of the new seminary at Wabash (then Cass) Avenue and Superior Street, was opened on October 2, 1905 upon Purcell's return, and named Cathedral College of the Sacred Heart. Following the European seminary practice of being sited in the midst of the city center of ministry, it also followed the practice of school on Saturday, with Thursday off. No tuition was charged for the first 52 freshmen recruited and admitted upon the nomination of their pastor. Nine other priests, all with either Irish or German surnames, served as the faculty. It became the established tradition of Chicago's minor seminaries that financial want should not prevent a seminarian from attending.
Quigley purchased land on the far West Side of Chicago, in today's Austin neighborhood, for a future major seminary, and a site at Addison St. and Sheridan Rd. for a larger minor seminary, since Cathedral College had quickly grown to encompass three buildings. Chicago's rapid expansion made the Austin site unsuitable for a major seminary, and Quigley sold the property to the city for its present use as a portion of the beautiful Columbus Park, later designed by the noted landscape architect Jens Jensen. Quigley's health failed before he could put his plan of seminary development in motion, but at an ecclesiastical event in the Eastern United States prior to his death, Quigley providentially spent an afternoon with George Mundelein, then auxiliary bishop of Brooklyn, describing his plans in detail. Quigley died on July 10, 1915, but his successor Mundelein expanded upon Quigley's vision and put it into action. Upon his being named Archbishop, Mundelein boarded a train on February 7, 1916 with a delegation from his new archdiocese, and headed to Chicago, where he was installed as archbishop two days later.
Within a few weeks, on "the feast of the Holy Apostles Phillip and James, 1916," Mundelein wrote to the priests of Chicago:
"It is for this reason that in several of the dioceses of the country, the bishops have established the more modern form of the preparatory seminary, where the young boy selected from among his companions by the pastor or confessor, who discerns in him the probable signs of a vocation, the piety, application and intelligence which is required for the candidate for the holy priesthood, even while remaining in the sacred circle of the home and under the watchful eye of a pious mother, is placed apart and educated with those who only look forward to that same great work in life, the priestly field of labor, keeping daily before his mind the sublime vocation of the priesthood, preserving him pure and pious by constant exhortation, by daily assistance at the Holy Sacrifice and by frequent reception of the sacraments."
"The buildings are to be in the early French Gothic style of architecture and by reason of the distinct individuality and prominent location, will form a place of interest, not only to visitors, but to all lovers of the City Beautiful. The group will be composed of a main college building, and two ornate wings will be one the chapel, the other the library and gymnasium."
Mundelein had purchased earlier in 1916 a half block of land on Rush St. from Pearson to Chestnut Streets, and later sold the Addison and Sheridan property for $600,000, with a profit of $160,000, in April, 1917, with the profit going to build the new Quigley Seminary, and the principal being reserved for the planned new major seminary. With the ground broken in November, 1916 and a cornerstone laid at the corner of Pearson and Rush on September 16, 1917, classes were first held at school's current location in September 1918.
Carrying on a precedent established in 1905 in Cathedral College under rector Rev. Francis Andrew "Doc" Purcell (Msgr. in 1922), also Quigley Seminary's first rector, the new "Quigley Memorial Preparatory Seminary" was established with a five-year program of study (which continued until 1961), but like Cathedral College as a day school, so that Quigley students "would never lose contact with their heritage, their families, their Church."
By 1922, Quigley Seminary was already overcrowded, with over 600 students in a building designed to hold 500. A west wing of the building, this time in the Flemish-Gothic style, was begun in March, 1925 and completed amazingly by December, 1925, increasing the capacity of the school another 500."
Msgr. Purcell established the school newspaper, The Candle, its yearbook, Le Petit Seminaire, the Cathedral Choristers (a boys' choir which sang at Sunday Masses at Holy Name Cathedral), catechists (who served at parishes), the Beadsmen (who gathered after school and at breaks to pray the Rosary), and the primacy of basketball among Quigley Seminary's intramural and interscholastic sports. By the end of his tenure as rector in 1931, Quigley faculty had grown from ten at Cathedral College in 1905 to forty-two, and the student body had grown from 1905's fifty-two to 1,030. Quigley priest faculty were expected to live in the parishes of the Archdiocese so as to keep a parish and priestly connection.
Msgr. Purcell was succeeded as rector in 1931 by Msgr. Philip Francis Mahoney, who according to the Archdiocesan history changed little established by Purcell, and whose poor health led to his resignation during the 1934-35 academic year. Mundelein then met with the Quigley faculty and asked for their prayerful individual and confidential recommendations for the rector's position. During the next faculty meeting, Cardinal Mundelein named as Quigley's third rector the faculty choice, Rev. Malachy P. Foley. Msgr. Foley urged Quigley faculty to earn graduate degrees, regularly met personally with students both to praise and correct, expected classroom professionalism, and, according to Archdiocesan historian Msgr. Harry Koenig's account, "maintained Quigley as a seminary that saw itself as second to no other high school."
Mundelein's "Paperhanger" Speech and His Impact on Quigley
Perhaps the most memorable event in Quigley Seminary's history came on Tuesday, May 18
, when Cardinal Mundelein, speaking to 500 priests at Quigley during a quarterly diocesan conference, lashed out at Nazi leaders Adolf Hitler
, Joseph Goebbels
, and Hermann Goering
for using the pretext of "immorality" and sexual scandals to attack Catholic religious orders, organizations, and German Catholic schools, which at the time educated two million children, saying:
The fight is to take the children away from us. If we show no interest in this matter now, if we shrug our shoulders and mutter, 'Maybe there is some truth in it, or maybe it is not our fight;' if we don't back up our Holy Father (Pope Pius XI) when we have a chance, well when our turn comes we, too, will be fighting alone. . . . Perhaps you will ask how it is that a nation of sixty million people, intelligent people, will submit in fear to an alien, an Austrian paperhanger, and a poor one at that I am told, and a few associates like Goebbels and Goering who dictate every move of the people's lives...
Nazi minister Goebbels, labeled a "crooked minister of propaganda" in the same speech by Mundelein, responded furiously within days at a mass rally with 18,000 attendants, demanding that the Vatican discipline Mundelein, which it refused to do. Nazi attacks on German Catholic institutions intensified, and 200 Catholic newspapers were shut down. In Philadelphia, the International Brotherhood of Painters, Paperhangers, and Decorators for their part took exception to the Cardinal's classification of Hitler as a "paperhanger" in any case, despite Mundelein's remarks "he was not a very good one."
Mundelein similarly championed Quigley, and personally recruited Catholic families to send their sons into the priesthood, including Frederick and Reynold Hillenbrand, sons of the dentist who treated Mundelein's niece, and later treated Mundelein himself. In a January 2, 1938 speech to 2,000 members of the Holy Name Society at Holy Name Cathedral, Chicago, Mundelein said:
Our place is beside the poor, behind the working man. They are our people; they build our churches, they occupy our pews, their children crowd our schools, our priests come from their sons. They look to us for leadership, but they look to us, too, for support.
Chicago's poor and working people comprised many immigrant groups, and Mundelein used his seminaries to break down ethnic barriers among the clergy. Ethnic groups fought back, and demanded concessions from Mundelein to preserve their identity. One such concession was that Quigley students of Polish descent had to learn Polish, a practice that continued from Mundelein's day until 1960.
1940s to 1950s
The Quigley-educated rector and faculty member Msgr. John W. Schmid followed Msgr. Foley as the fourth rector in 1944, and expanded the language curriculum, sending professors (Quigley faculty were called "professors" or "profs" for short) to study in Mexico, Canada, and Europe, and added sciences and physical education as requirements. Schmid, seeing the student body of Quigley growing to 1,300
near the end of his thirty-one years of service to Quigley as professor and rector in 1955, began a formal study for expansion of the school, and stepped aside so a younger man could lead it. The vigorous and athletic Msgr. Martin M. Howard, another Quigley graduate and professor, fluent in classical languages and Spanish, was named rector on May 18, 1955 by Samuel Cardinal Stritch
Msgr. Howard faced, according to Msgr. Koenig's account, the task of fitting four years of high school and two years of college into Quigley's five-year curriculum with a "Sulpician language-school model" of seminary inherited from Msgr. Purcell a half-century previous. With frequent faculty consultation, Howard participated in plans with Cardinal Stritch to convert Quigley to a four-year program, build a second Quigley near Chicago's south suburbs, establish a four-year free-standing college seminary, and shorten the program at St. Mary of the Lake Seminary in Mundelein, IL to four years of graduate study. In the mean time, the Archdiocese rented the Ogden School at 39 West Chestnut from the Chicago Board of Education as Quigley's "Annex" to better accommodate the overflow of Quigley's 1,300 students.
Late 1950s to 1970s
Before Cardinal Stritch could complete the plan for the second Quigley, he died in Rome on May 27, 1958. At the direction of his successor Cardinal Albert Gregory Meyer
, a former seminary rector and Milwaukee archbishop named archbishop of Chicago on September 19, 1958, the seminary built a new high school, Quigley Preparatory Seminary South, at 77th Street and Western Avenue, which opened in 1961, with Msgr. Howard named its first rector. The original Quigley classes of 1960 and 1961 graduated in Spring, 1961, with the new Chicago college seminary, later to be called Niles College, opening that Fall.
Cardinal Meyer dedicated the Quigley South Chapel of the Sacred Heart (so named to hearken to the original Chicago minor seminary, Cathedral College of the Sacred Heart), its 40 acre campus, and new facilities for its 869 students on September 13, 1962. For a short period in the early 1960s, both Quigley campuses held joint events, including graduations, in order to instill among the students the spirit of sharing one school.
Msgr. John P. O'Donnell (Q' 41) was named rector of the newly named Quigley Preparatory Seminary North at the original Chestnut Street location in 1961. Msgr. O'Donnell encouraged his faculty to seek degrees from many universities, and himself earned a PhD from Loyola University and a master's degree from Notre Dame in addition to earlier master's and licentiate degrees from St. Mary of the Lake Seminary. Cardinal Meyer continued the practice of appointing priests to Quigley on the theory that "young seminarians needed a good number of priest-models to make an intelligent decision about their vocations." In 1965 Msgr. O'Donnell also led Quigley North in earning accreditation from the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools and took steps to make Advanced Placement classes available for students, an action mirrored at Quigley South, the year that Archbishop John Patrick Cody was named to succeed Cardinal Meyer, who had succumbed to cancer on April 9. Quigley North faced for the first time a problem of declining enrollment, seeing its freshman class decline from 256 in 1962 to 130 in 1967. Declining enrollments brought both Quigley seminaries to consider further changes.
In 1966 Cardinal Cody instituted a Chicago seminary system-wide change abolishing the Thursday day off and Saturday school day, which had for decades separated Chicago seminarians and seminary faculty from participating in Saturday social activities, while Quigley faculty voted to alter their own dress code requiring a cassock, in place of other clerical attire. Seminary policies prohibiting seminarian participation in co-educational activities and organizations were also revised in that same year. In 1968, dress codes for both Quigley seminaries requiring a suit coat and tie for students were revised to fit the seasons of the year, and the Quigley seminaries made the necessary arrangements so that Quigley students could join the National Honor Society. After a year-long self-study of the entire Chicago archdiocesan seminary system in 1969 assisted by Arthur B. Little and Company of Boston, Cardinal Cody in 1970 announced a new admissions policy for the Quigley seminaries, which expanded beyond Cardinal Mundelein's original requirement in 1916 that Quigley students be "educated with those who only look forward to that same great work in life, the priestly field of labor." Boys from two categories would as of 1971 be admitted to Quigley, "(a.) ... who have indicated a desire for the priesthood and who meet the requirements of admissions, and (b.) ... who, in the judgment of parish priests, have the kind of character, ability, and temperament which might lead to the personal discovery of a vocation in the priesthood." The new policy also indicated that Quigley North and South should "emphasize the fact that they are contemporary seminaries primarily concerned with the development and encouragement of vocations to the priesthood," and that "a vigorous campaign should be begun, especially on the part of priests, to enroll qualified students."
John Paul II's 1979 Address to Chicago Seminarians at Quigley South
On October 5, 1979, Pope John Paul II
visited Quigley South, giving three speeches--one to the bishops of the United States, one to the sick, and one to the minor seminarians of both Quigley schools, to whom he said:
I extend a special greeting to all of you who are present here today. I want you to know that you have a special place in my thoughts and prayers.
Dear sons in Christ: Be strong in your faith--faith in Christ and His Church, faith in all that the Father has revealed and accomplished through His Son and the Holy Spirit.
During your years in the minor seminary, you have the privilege of studying and deepening your understanding of the faith. Since Baptism you have lived the faith, aided by your parents, your brothers and sisters, and the whole Christian community. And yet today I call upon you to live by faith even more profoundly. For it is faith in God which makes the essential difference in your lives and in the life of every priest.
Be faithful in your daily prayers; they will keep your faith alive and vibrant.
Study the faith diligently so that your knowledge of Christ will continually increase.
And nourish your faith each day at Mass, for in the Eucharist you have the source and greatest expression of our faith.
God bless you.
John Paul II added, "See how important you are--The Pope comes to visit you!"
1980s to Present
While in 1983 Quigley North Rector Rev. Thomas Franzman could report that "45% of our seniors headed on to Niles College [Seminary]," by December 1989, facing declining enrollment and a reduction in the number of Quigley graduates completing studies for the priesthood, the Archdiocese announced the closure of both Quigley North and Quigley South as of June 1990, combining both schools into Archbishop Quigley Seminary at the original downtown site for the 1990 Fall term. For several weeks in early 1990, Quigley students and alumni from both institutions picketed the mansion of Cardinal Joseph Bernardin
and published a full-page ad in the Chicago Sun-Times
, but many of the protesters later joined in supporting the combined Archbishop Quigley Seminary. The Quigley South campus was purchased for the new location of St. Rita High School (originally located at 63rd Street and Claremont Avenue). The reorganized Archbishop Quigley Preparatory Seminary would go on to earn national recognition from US News and World Report
in 1999 as one of 96 outstanding high schools in America.
During the period 1984–1993, Quigley graduated an average of 5.5 students per year who completed the remaining eight years leading to ordination. As of the Fall of 2006, with an enrollment of 183 students, Quigley was the largest of the seven remaining preparatory seminaries in the country.
Daily attendance at Mass was required of Quigley students for the greater part of the 20th century, following Cardinal Mundelein's letter of 1916 and John Paul II's 1979 direction quoted above, but the practice declined during the early 90s, when a weekly Mass was instituted. However, when Rev. Peter Sneig was appointed rector in 2001, per Cardinal George's decision, prayer was the centerpiece of Quigley once again. Since academic school year of 2000-01, Mass had been an integral part of spiritual growth, being required three days a week with Monday morning prayer and Friday afternoon prayer to begin and end each week.
The Archdiocese announced on September 19, 2006 that Quigley's doors would be shut at the end of the school year in June 2007.
After one year of renovation the site was to become home to the new archdiocesan Pastoral Center, containing the offices of the archbishop's curia and relative church bodies, with a "Quigley Scholars" program being established to support priestly vocations among high school boys.
According to an unsubstantiated report, a 1982 alumnus started efforts in 2007 to remove the Quigley Seminary building from the National Register of Historic Places asserting that the building "without a Preparatory Seminary has been substantially altered from its original intent."
Living Alumni Bishops
- Edward Cardinal Egan, (Q '51) Archbishop of New York City
- Archbishop Wilton D. Gregory, (QS '65) Archbishop of Atlanta, Georgia, former president of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
- Archbishop John George Vlazny, (Q '55) Archbishop of Portland, Oregon
- Archbishop James P. Keleher, (Q '51) retired Archbishop of Kansas City, Kansas
- Bishop Edward K. Braxton, (QS '62) Bishop of Belleville, IL
- Bishop Raymond E. Goedert, (Q '45) retired Auxiliary Bishop of Chicago, former Vicar General
- Bishop John M. Gorman, (Q '45) retired Auxiliary Bishop of Chicago
- Bishop Thaddeus J. Jakubowski (Q '43) retired Auxiliary bishop of Chicago
- Bishop Francis J. Kane, (Q '61) Auxiliary Bishop of Chicago
- Bishop Gerald F. Kicanas, (Q '60), Bishop of Tucson, AZ, secretary-elect (2006) of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
- Bishop Jerome Edward Listecki, (QS '67) Bishop of the Diocese of La Crosse in La Crosse, Wisconsin
- Bishop Timothy J. Lyne, (Q '37) retired Auxiliary Bishop of Chicago
- Bishop John R. Manz, (QN '63) Auxiliary Bishop of Chicago
- Bishop Thomas J. Paprocki, (QS '70) Auxiliary Bishop of Chicago
- Bishop George J. Rassas, (Q '61) Auxiliary Bishop of Chicago
- Bishop Edward James Slattery, (Q '59) Bishop of Tulsa, OK
Other noted alumni
- Archbishop William E. Cousins, (Q '21) 1902–1988, Archbishop of Milwaukee, WI
- Monsignor Reynold Hillenbrand, (Q '24) 1904–1979, Quigley professor, liturgical visionary, mentor to "Specialized Catholic Action" and social action movements, St. Mary of the Lake Seminary rector, 1935–1944, pastor. His activist proteges D. Cantwell, J.J. Egan, G.C. Higgins, W.J. Quinn, J.A. Voss and others were called "Hilly's Men"
- Monsignor Eugene Mulcahey, (Q '24) 1906–1984, Quigley professor, 1932–1938; Superintendent, Maryville Academy, 1938–1954; pastor, St. Jerome Church, Chicago, 1954–1975. Served on the first Chicago Archdiocesan Liturgical Commission. Founder of the Howard Area Community Center on Chicago's far north side.
- Monsignor John M. Hayes, (Q '25) 1906–2002, pastor, Catholic Action chaplain, predecessor of George C. Higgins as "labor priest" for US bishops in Washington, marched at Selma
- Bishop Raymond P. Hillinger, (Q '26) 1904–1971, bishop of Rockford, IL, auxiliary bishop of Chicago
- Rev. Bernard Burns, (Q '26) chaplain to the Association of Catholic Trade Unionists, 1939–1941, military chaplain, WWII
- Monsignor Harry C. Koenig, (Q '27) 1910–2002, historian, St. Mary of the Lake Seminary professor, pastor, vicar author, co-founder with J.J. Egan of the parish "twinning" program, later the Parish Sharing program. The Harry C. Koenig prize in Catholic Biography of the American Catholic Historical Association is named after him
- Rev. Francis C. Murphy, (Q '27) 1909–1994, Quigley professor, WWII Navy chaplain, pastor
- Bishop Ernest J. Primeau, (Q '28) 1909–1989, bishop of Manchester, NH
- Bishop Aloysius John Wycislo, (Q '28) 1908–2005, bishop of Green Bay, WI, friend of John Paul II. During WWII and into the 1950s, served in Catholic War Relief Services, established refugee camps in the Middle East, India, and Africa, and later worked coordinating aid throughout Eastern and Western Europe at the request of the Polish American Relief Organization.
- Monsignor Joseph T. Kush (Q '29) 1911–1991, professor of Sacred Music at St. Mary of the Lake Seminary and DePaul University, pastor
- Monsignor Ignatius McDermott, (Q '29) late minister to alcoholics and homeless, founder of Haymarket Center
- John P. Fahey, (Q '29) 1911–1986, Chicago Police Town Hall district commander, founder of Operation Crime Stop in Chicago
- John Jordan, (Q '29) 1910–1991 Notre Dame University basketball coach, 1951–1964
- Monsignor Charles N. Meter, (Q '30) -1998, Internationally renowned musician, longtime leader of Quigley's music department and choirs, Director of Music for the Archdiocese of Chicago, conductor of Cathedral Choristors, pastor of St. Joseph's Parish in Wilmette. The Quigley auditorium was named in his honor, where a memorial plaque and portrait of him hung in remembrance
- Bishop Romeo R. Blanchette, (Q '31) 1913–1982, Bishop of Joliet, IL
- Bishop Thomas J. Grady, (Q '32) 1914–2002, Bishop of Orlando, FL
- Rev. John Quinn Corcoran, (Q '32) pastor, co-founder of the Garfield Park West Community Organization
- Rev. Martin "Doc" Farrell, (Q '32) pastor of Holy Cross parish in Chicago's Woodlawn neighborhood during birth of The Woodlawn Organization (TWO), pioneer in Chicago Catholic interracial ministry
- Rev. Charles (Jules) Marhoefer, (Q '32) late Quigley and DePaul University professor, early chaplain of the Christian Family Movement, theological co-founder of the Cana Movement
- Paul Hazard, (Q '32) businessman, co-founder of the Christian Family Movement, first grand knight of the Loyola Council of Knights of Columbus
- Bishop William E. McManus, (Q '33) 1914–1997, Bishop of Fort Wayne-South Bend, IN, 1976–1985; previously served in the National Catholic Welfare Conference Education office in Washington, DC, and as Superintendent of Schools, Archdiocese of Chicago
- Monsignor Daniel Cantwell, (Q '33) late chaplain to the Catholic interracial apostolate Friendship House, chaplain of the Catholic Labor Alliance and the Catholic Interracial Council, liturgical reformer, civil rights activist, champion of the laity, women in the Church, and the disabled
- Monsignor William J. Quinn, (Q '33) 1915–2004, Original chaplain to the Young Christian Workers, the Young Christian Students and the Christian Family Movement; first Executive Secretary of the U.S. Bishops' Committee for Migrant Workers; liaison between the U.S. bishops and the bishops of Latin America; peritus at Vatican II; international lecturer; pastor.
- Ray Meyer, (Q '33) late DePaul University and Basketball Hall of Fame coach. College coach of George Mikan, Mark Aguirre, Terry Cummings
- Hon. John F. Thornton, (Q '33) 1914–1997, Cook County Circuit Court Judge, US Navy WWII, former staff attorney, Chicago Corporation Counsel's office
- Bishop Tadeu Henrique (Jude) Prost, O.F.M. (Q '34) 1915–1994, Auxiliary Bishop of Belém do Pará, Para, Brazil
- Rev. Edward P. Fitzgerald, (Q '34) 1916–2004, Quigley and St. Mary of the Lake Seminary professor, pastor, chaplain of Mercy Hospital.
- Monsignor George G. Higgins, (Q '34) late labor priest, author, educator, peritus at Vatican II, recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2000
- Rev. Matthias H. Hoffman, (Q '34) pastor, beloved seminary professor
- Monsignor Martin M. Howard, (Q '34) Quigley Seminary rector, 1955-61, founding rector, Quigley Preparatory Seminary South, 1961–1968, pastor
- Rev. James A. Voss (Q '34) 1916–1984, theological co-founder of the Cana Movement, originator with layman Clem Lane of the Pre-Cana Conference, beloved Quigley professor for 29 years, pastor
- Bishop Cletus F. O'Donnell (Q '35) 1917–1992, bishop of Madison, WI
- Bishop Raymond J. Vonesh (Q '35) 1916–1991, auxiliary bishop of Joliet, IL, canon lawyer
- Monsignor Eugene F. Lyons, (Q '36) 1917–2001, seminary professor, rector/president of Niles College Seminary 1961–1971, pastor
- Rev. Frederick M. Niemeyer, (Q '36) 1918–1988, priest and later rector, Angel Guardian Orphanage, 1942–1974, pastor, St. Henry parish, Chicago, 1974–1988
- George Drury, (Q '36) Co-founder and Director of the Sheil School for Social Studies in Chicago, Loyola University philosophy professor
- Edward A. Marciniak, (Q '36) 1917–2004, lay Catholic and urban activist, pacifist, sociologist, union typesetter, editor, Chicago city commissioner, and author. Catholic Worker with Dorothy Day
- Hon. James Murray, (Q '36), judge, former 18th ward Chicago alderman, assistant attorney general, assistant state's attorney
- James O'Gara, (Q '36) 1918–2003, former Catholic Worker activist, Editor of Commonweal 1952–1984.
- Bishop Alfred Abramowicz, (Q '37) 1919–1999, as Director of the Catholic League for Religious Assistance to Poland from 1960, was principal US fundraising and organizational contact for Polish Solidarity movement, Chicago auxiliary bishop, friend of John Paul II
- Bishop Michael R. P. Dempsey, (Q '37) 1918–1974 co-founder, first national director, and champion of the Catholic Campaign for Human Development, Chicago auxiliary bishop
- Monsignor John J. "Jack" Egan, (Q '37) 1916–2001 late social and civil rights activist, educator, friend of Saul Alinsky. Assistant pastor at St. Justin Martyr Parish, Chicago, 1943–1947; first director of the Cana Conference of Chicago, 1947–1958; first director of the Archdiocese of Chicago Office of Urban Affairs, 1958–1969; pastor of Presentation Parish, 1966–1970; chairman of the Association of Chicago Priests, 1969–1970; chair of the Catholic Committee on Urban Ministry at the University of Notre Dame and faculty member in the Theology Department and in the Institute for Urban Studies there, 1970–1976; assistant to the president of Notre Dame, 1976–1983; director of Human Relations and Ecumenism for the Archdiocese of Chicago, 1983–1987; assistant to the president of DePaul University, 1987–2001. De Paul University's Egan Urban Center was named in his memory
- Rev. Joseph Dean (Dyniewicz), (Q '39) lifetime service to the home missions in the US
- Archbishop Paul Casimir Marcinkus, (Q '40) 1922–2006, Pro-President of Vatican City State
- Archbishop John L. May, (Q '40) 1922–1994, Archbishop of St. Louis, MO
- Rev. Anthony J. Karlovecius, MM (Q '40) 1922–1969, missionary, imprisoned by Communists in China for eight months in 1951
- John Harold Leims, (Q '40) 1921–1985, awarded the Medal of Honor for service as United States Marine at Iwo Jima. (Attended Quigley, later graduated from St. George High School in Evanston, IL)
- Michael Tuomey, (Q '40) 1922–1990, attorney, founder of Friends of the Homeless in Chicago's Uptown neighborhood
- Monsignor Thomas Obrycki, (Q '41) ordained 1947, hospital chaplain at Little Company of Mary Hospital after paralysis from a 1949 auto accident
- Monsignor John P. O'Donnell, (Q '41) playwright, Quigley rector
- George Mikan, (Q' 41) NBA Basketball Hall of Fame player of the Minneapolis Lakers
- Rev. William J. Cogan, (Q '44) Founder and President ACTA Foundation, Adult Catechetical Teaching Aids.
- Stephen X. Foley, (Q '44) automobile dealer
- Rev. Robert A. Reicher, (Q '45) 1927–1972, sociology professor at Barat College and Niles College Seminary, co-founder of the Illinois Migrant Council, executive secretary of the Chicago Archdiocesan Office of Conciliation and Arbitration
- Rev. Martin N. Winters, (Q '45) retired WMAQ NBC5 television host, historian, Francophile, raconteur, seminary professor
- John Gibson, (Q '45) retired federal employee, father of several priests and religious women
- Rev. John P. Enright, (Q '46) former pastor of Epiphany Parish in Chicago's Hispanic community, sent 50 young men to Quigley
- Rev. Stanley R. Rudcki, (Q '46) symphony and choral conductor pianist, organist, composer, seminary professor
- John J. Casserly, (Q '46) former Rome bureau chief for United Press International and ABC News, author, confidant to three popes
- Rev. Andrew M. Greeley, (Q '47) author, sociologist, Chicago Sun-Times columnist
- Rev. Edward J. Maloney, (Q '48), pastor, missionary to Mexico, beloved seminary professor
- Rev. John J. Nicola, (Q '48) technical advisor to the film, The Exorcist
- Rev. George H. Clements, (Q '50) pastor, founder of One Church, One Child
- William Harte, (Q '50) Chicago attorney
- Bishop Thomas J. Murphy, (Q '51) 1932–1997, Bishop of Seattle, WA
- John (Jack) Browne, (Q '51)
- Francis J. Catania, (Q '51) philosopher, retired Loyola University of Chicago dean
- Robert McClory, (Q '51) former priest, journalist, Northwestern University Medill School of Journalism professor emeritus
- Bishop John R. Keating, (Q '52) 1934–1998, Bishop of Arlington, VA
- Bishop Edwin M. Conway, (Q '53) 1934–2004, Auxiliary Bishop of Chicago
- Rev. Daniel P. Coughlin (Q '53) First Catholic chaplain of the United States House of Representatives
- Rev. Louis J. Zake, (Q '53) pastor, historian
- Rev. John P. Smyth, (Q '54) longtime head of Maryville Academy
- Rev. Thomas A. Tivy, (Q '55) pastor
- William Ferris, (Q '55) 1937–2000 choral director and composer. Founder of the William Ferris Chorale
- Patrick G. Guinan, (Q '55) physician, retired University of Illinois at Chicago urology professor, president of Catholic Physicians' Guild of Chicago
- Martin Mongan, (Q '55) Quigley South faculty member for its entire 29 years, Catholic Charities counselor
- Richard J. Phelan, (Q '55) special counsel for US House investigation of former Speaker Jim Wright, former President of the Cook County Board, attorney
- Rev. James J. Close, (Q '56) oversaw expansion and improvement of Mercy Home for Boys & Girls
- Roger Flaherty, (Q '56) Chicago journalist, retired assistant city editor, Chicago Sun-Times
- Richard (Dick) Flaiz, (Q '56) long-time Quigley South coach
- Philip J. Rock, (Q '56) former Illinois State Senate president
- Richard Cahill, DDS, (Q '57) dentist, volunteer in Bosnia
- Richard Morrisroe, (Q '57) former priest shot in 1965 while a civil rights worker in Alabama, attorney
- Gerald M. Sullivan, (Q '57) retired Business Manager, Chicago Journeymen Plumbers Local Union 130 UA
- Rev. William Burke, (Q '59) former college seminary professor, pastor, actor, author
- John J. Shea, (Q '60) theologian, poet, author, former priest
- Henry Zuba, (Q '60), urban planner, real estate and affordable housing developer, former priest
- Rev. John Canary, (Q '61) Vicar General of the Archdiocese of Chicago
- Edward M. Burke, (Q '61) Chicago alderman
- James M. Houlihan, (Q '61) Cook County assessor
- Edward R. Kantowicz, (Q '61) historian, author
- William Lynch, (Q '61) volunteer for Archdiocesan Big Shoulders Program
- Michael McCaskey, (Q '61) chairman, Chicago Bears; (attended Quigley, later graduated from Notre Dame High School in Niles, Illinois)
- Thomas P. Coffey, (QS '62) Chicago director of intergovernmental affairs under Mayor Harold Washington, attorney
- Rev. Thomas Franzman, (QN '62) Quigley North Rector, pastor, dean, Archdiocesan department head
- Walter Hansen, (QN '62) Catholic educator, fundraiser, original head of the Big Shoulders Fund of the Archdiocese of Chicago, which supports inner-city schools
- Rev. Thomas Nangle, (QN '62) chaplain of Chicago Police Department
- Rev. Louis Cameli, (QS '62) seminary educator, editor of USCCB's "The Basic Plan for Ongoing Formation of Priests" and "Program of Priestly Formation", former director of Cardinal Stritch Retreat House, pastor, author
- Rev. Joseph A. Mulcrone, (QS '63) Director, Catholic Office of the Deaf
- Michael Schack, (QN '63) founder and director of Joseph Academy in Niles, IL; teacher and counselor to emotionally disordered youth for over 25 years
- Hon.Gerald M. Zopp, Jr., (QN '63) McHenry, IL county judge
- Michael V. Hasten, (QN '64) 1947–1997, Chairman of the Illinois Commerce Commission, 1979–1983, attorney, chair, Talman Savings and Loan Association, 1984–1987, member, Illinois Arts Council, 1986
- Rev. Michael Cronin, (QN '65) Quigley teacher and Director of Formations, staff member of Niles College, former Executive Director of the National Organization for the Continuing Education of Roman Catholic Clergy (NOCERC), pastor, musician
- Rev. Lawrence J. Craig, (QS '65) 1947–2006, founder and executive director of Kolbe House Catholic Prison Ministry
- Rev. John M. Daley, (QS '65) 1948–1996, first rector of the combined Archbishop Quigley Preparatory Seminary, 1990–1996, former Quigley South faculty
- Rev. Dominic J. Grassi, (QN '65) pastor, author
- Francis J. Bomher, (QS '65) CPA
- John (Jack) Raba, MD, (QS '65) activist physician at Cook County Hospital
- Lawrence Suffredin, (QN '65) Cook County Commissioner, attorney
- Rev. Robert L. Tuzik, (QN '65) historian
- Rev. J. Cletus Kiley, (QS '66) president of the Faith and Politics Institute, Washington, DC; former Chicago college seminary rector
- John "Jack" Carlson, (QS '67) English teacher at Quigley South for eighteen years, helped lead fight to keep school open in 1990, continued teaching at Brother Rice High School
- Rev. John G. Klein, (QN '67) 1950–1999, rector of Quigley South, president of Archbishop Quigley Seminary, pastor
- Rev. Mitchell C. Pacwa, SJ, (QN '67) EWTN television host, theologian, author, friend of Mother Angelica
- Rev. Anthony Brankin, (QS '67) pastor, sculptor trained at Libera Accademia di Belle Arti di Roma, musician, harpmaker
- Bernard H. Henry, (QN '67) Vice President Human Resources, Alverno Clinical Laboratories, LLC and Board Member of Amate House, the Archdiocesan Post Graduate Volunteer Program.
- Rev. Michael Pfleger, (QS '67) pastor, civil rights activist
- J. Manuel Sosa, (QS '67) first Hispanic principal for Chicago Board of Education
- Hon. Daniel G. Welter, (QS '67) judge, deacon
- Joseph Valadez, (QN '67) public health practitioner in US, Africa, and developing nations
- Rev. C. Frank Phillips, CR, (QN '68) pastor, founder of the Canons Regular of Saint John Cantius
- Thom Clark, (QN '68) peace and housing activist, editor, founder of Community Media Workshop
- Neil Sullivan, (QN '68) deputy director of homeland security for the Chicago's Office of Emergency Management and Communication, police commander
- Michael F. Schubert, (QS '68) city planner, neighborhood development strategist, former Chicago housing commissioner, founder, New Homes for Chicago program
- Rev. John L. Gibson, OCD, (QN '69) missionary to Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Albania, Korea, Mexico, friend of Mother Teresa
- Martin Graham-McHugh, (QN '69) vice-principal of Archbishop Quigley from 1999-07
- Rev. Kevin Hays, (QN '69) missionary to Latin America, pastor
- Rev. Daniel G. Mayall, (QN '69) pastor, Holy Name Cathedral, Chicago, dean
- Rev. Thomas A. Mulcrone, (QS '69) Chicago Fire Department Chaplain
- Rev. Dr. Louis R. Tarsitano (QN '69) late Anglican Church in America priest, author, and editor
- Ed Zotti aka Cecil Adams, (QN '69) Columnist and Author of The Straight Dope
- Rev. Philip C. Cleary, (QN '71) Executive Director, Nuestros Pequeños Hermanos International
- John G. Iberle, (QN '71) real estate executive
- Monsignor Robert Dempsey, (QN '72) former editor of L'Osservatore Romano, English edition
- Rev. William T. Corcoran, Jr., (QS '73) pastor, seminary professor, historian
- Mark J. Teresi, (QN '73) Vice President of Institutional Advancement at the University of St. Mary of the Lake/Mundelein Seminary
- Rev. Brian G. Walker, OP, (QS '74) pastor, missionary
- Michael Edward Harper, (QS '76) three-time Division III All American and three-time Division III national champion basketball player with North Park University, later of the NBA Portland Trail Blazers, State Farm Insurance Agent
- Francisco San Miguel, (QS '78) 1961–1992, AIDS Activist, Francisco San Miguel Apartments in Chicago's Edgewater neighborhood are named in his honor
- Antonio Munoz, (QS '82) Illinois State Senator
- Martin Sandoval, (QS '82) Illinois State Senator
- Dan Savage, (ca. QN '82, not listed on official lists of graduates in Quigley alumni directory) sex columnist, author of Savage Love
- Mark Baginskis (QN'82) Attorney at Law, medical malpractice
- Victor Villalobos, (QN '82) Director of community relations, St. Mary of Nazareth Hospital
- Harry Lennix, (QS '83) Noted Actor
- John LaMantia, (QS '84) Who Wants to be a Millionaire $125,000 winner
- Jesús J. Huerta, (QS '88) Director of Pastoral Formation at St. Joseph College Seminary
- Joaquín Salamanca, (QS/AQ '92) Noted technologist, Fusion Technology Partners, and Executive Director, Instituto de Justicia Social (IJS)
- Karl Hench, (AQ '00) contestant on the television show Beauty and the Geek, season 2
- Andrew Sawa, (AQ '03) contestant on the television show Beauty and the Geek, season 3
- John Pham, (AQ '02, Faculty '06-'07) youngest recipient of the Archdiocese of Chicago Heart of the School Award
Quigley Culture and Traditions
- (The) Annex -- the Ogden Public School building rented for Quigley student overflow during the late 1950s. Attendants of the Annex often claim to have attended Quigley during "the Days of the Giants" by default.
- (The) 2nd and 'a Half' Floor Bathroom -- A bathroom that sits next to the teacher's lounge door, but is still a public restroom, often kept the cleanest, but also the most discreet. Simple underclassmen rarely know of this place, but it provides a safe haven for long, 'get out of class' bathroom visits. It also serves as a comfortable niche in between the computer room and the art room. The bathroom has sometimes been subject to stink bombs, and detection is difficult because of no cameras in the area, making the perfect place to strike. The bathroom, however, is respected and kept clean by the student body, so as to be at least one place where both faculty and student can quickly relieve himself in peace. This is also the overflow bathroom for male faculty members, when the faculty room bathroom is in use.
- Beadle -- during the Days of the Giants, the student in a Latin classroom designated by the professor to exact discipline and to pass back graded papers, usually the student with the second highest grades in a marking period, but sometimes a student creatively chosen by the professor to motivate the student or the class.
- Beadsmen -- an organization of Quigley students who prayed the Rosary in the chapel together and did service projects. Quigley students up until the 1970s were required to pray the Rosary daily.
- Bennie -- a Quigley freshman, so called to associate him with the youngest son of the twelve belonging to Jacob (Israel), Benjamin. As it takes twelve years to proceed through the seminary system from entering as a high school freshman to ordination day, this moniker showed a special affection for even the youngest of those among Chicago's seminarians.
- Big Brothers/Little Brothers -- a program which paired up freshmen and seniors in order to ensure guidance and acclimation for freshmen. Your big brother was someone who you were introduced to early in the year and who you could approach to ask questions or seek support from throughout your time as a freshman. Seniors looked after their assigned little brothers in a special way as their own prodigies.
- Blowtorch -- a satiric Quigley North student-initiated newspaper, extant 1968–1970. Founded by the QN class of 1969 and initially edited by Ed Zotti and Louis R. Tarsitano.
- Boorball -- a rapid, exciting variant on touch football played by Quigley students in the Fall. After the snap of the ball, passing the football is allowed in any direction any number of times until the ball carrier is tagged or a score is made.
- (A) Brown, Brownie -- during the Days of the Giants, a brownnoser, or student who curries the professor's favor.
- Candle -- the Quigley, and after 1961, the Quigley North student newspaper
- Cards -- See "Give me your card." Said to a group of students committing some disciplinary infraction, such as smoking. The prof would hold out his hand, and simply say to the students, "Cards," or "Cards, please," and the offending students would hand over their demerit cards.
- Cathedral Choristers -- the boys' choir of Chicago's Holy Name Cathedral populated by Quigley and later Quigley North students during the Days of the Giants. Each entering Bennie was screened at orientation for singing ability, and if he could sing and his voice had not yet changed, his membership in the Cathedral Choristers was mandatory. If his voice had fully changed, he was assigned to the Schola or Glee Club. Founded originally as the St. George Choral Society in 1918, they became the Cardinal's Cathedral Choristers in 1931. Directed by Msgr. Charles Meter (Q '30) from 1941–1963, the Choristers recorded "Carols of the Nations," which was a Christmas program performed at the Cathedral and at Quigley until the Choristers were disbanded in 1980.
- Chapel -- often referring to daily Mass, morning prayer, and afternoon prayer at Archbishop Quigley.
- Chessnuts -- the chess club and team (along with its members) at Quigley North and Archbishop Quigley.
- Christmas Wreath Toss -- During the traditional QN/AQ faculty tree trimming party, usually the first week of Advent, faculty members would take turns in tossing a wreath onto the arm of the statue of John Cardinal Newman in the faculty lounge (aka Tutor Room). If the wreath lands on Cardinal Newman's head or hangs off his finger, the toss is invalid. Often, it will take up to 4-5 rounds before wreath is properly rested on Cardinal Newman's arm.
- The Crow's Nest -- located on the 3 1/2 floor northeast staircase of Quigley, the highest office in altitude at 103 E. Chestnut. Fr. William Sheridan long resided in that office. His own name is carved on the wood of the door. The entrance to Memorial Hall is found through this office. During the 1960s this room served as the Le Petite Seminaire yearbook office, and was for a time called "Gilligan's Island" after Rev. John Gilligan, the yearbook moderator.
- Daily Mass -- attendance at daily Mass in the early morning hours at one's home parish was required of Quigley students up until the 1970s.
- Daily quizzes -- all Quigley language classes and many other subjects had daily quizzes during the Days of the Giants. See Yellow Sheet of Paper.
- Days of the Giants -- an expression by older Quigley graduates about a past Golden Age in which the school's discipline and performance standards were higher, thus making the students of that era smarter, tougher, holier, better than any given present cohort of students, based upon a Scriptural reference to Genesis 6:4, "At that time the Nephilim (giants) appeared on earth (as well as later), after the sons of heaven had intercourse with the daughters of man, who bore them sons. They were the heroes of old, the men of renown."
- Day off -- Traditionally, if the bishop came to visit Quigley for Mass, students could receive the rest of the day off of school, according to his personal prerogative. In latter years of the institution Auxiliary Bishop Jakubowski (an alumnus), particularly, liked to uphold this tradition by announcing at the end of Mass his grant of a "day off" of school (to be given at some later date as determined by the rector.) This practice earned him great affection from students who would, then, beg every other bishop visiting Quigley (including all auxiliaries who might pass through, the cardinal archbishop of Chicago, and visiting prelates from other dioceses) for the same, usually without success. Cardinal George did also eventually offer this privilege to students, at least on one occasion.
- Decorate the mahogany -- see Give me your card. Short for, "Put your demerit card on my desk."
- Demerit -- 25 demerits in a semester lead to a student's expulsion, 60 in a year likewise.
- Demerit Card -- A card which totes 25 spots, 5 of which lead to a JUG, 25 of which lead to an expulsion. Often referred to in Monopoly terms such as 'Go to Jail' on 25, and Free Parking at 15 (a suspension).
- Disrespect -- calling a professor by his or her nickname, imitating, or mocking him or her earned a student 5 demerits for disrespect and detention in JUG.
- Early exam date -- the Quigley entrance exam was, for the greater part of the 20th century, scheduled in December to allow students who failed to gain entrance to Quigley to still test for other Catholic high schools.
- Elevator pass -- a usually fictitious warrant to use Quigley's only elevator, usually sold by a Sophomore to a Bennie. Having a bona fide elevator pass authorized by a doctor due to injury was considered an achievement during the Days of the Giants.
- Faculty Showers -- Much to the surprise of a few seniors caught in these well furnished and well 'pressured' rooms, students are not allowed to shower here at any time, and subject to strict fines, disappointment from the faculty, and ridicule from fellow students for getting caught.
- Five & Five -- Five demerits and five JUGS was the punishment given to students who misbehaved in an extreme manner. This punishment & phrase was conceived and coined by Dan McKenna (previously Dan Kerwin) who was Dean of Students from 2003-06.
- Free Parking -- Though it may refer to faculty, staff, and a few lucky students who used the parking lot at Quigley on off days as a free way to park downtown, it also refers to a student receiving 15 demerits, because of the nature of its placement on the card parallel to Monopoly. 15 demerits in a semester prompts suspension, which is a humorous take on a once beloved square and a once beloved board game.
- Gimp [The]-- Epithet of Archbishop Cardinal George in reference to a physical impairment that prevented George from attending Quigley. Usually used by those critical of George's decision to close the school.
- Give me your card -- A professor would ask the student for the demerit card on which demerits were recorded to report the student for discipline.
- Grace questions -- extra credit questions offered by some teachers if a quiz or test was given on a Friday. These questions typically had absolutely nothing to do with the subject of the test, but were move of a novelty or trivia type
- Jakes -- a Days of the Giants term for the washrooms, where no smoking was officially allowed.
- JUG -- after school, or, more rarely and subject to legend, weekend or summer detention. Justice Under God.
- Lenten Lob -- during the season of Lent at Archbishop Quigley, Ray Schuman (Q '55), QN & AQ math professor, would hold tournaments to raise money for the Catholic Missions. Two key events are the Money Jars and the Lob. For the money jars, each class including faculty would have their own jar to collect/add money. At the end of Lent, the class with the most money wins; however, only quarters at to your amount while any other currency deducts from your total. The Lob is when students & faculty have to "lob" balls from different parts of the gymnasium balcony to a bucket on the floor of the gym. Depending on the location and the type of ball used, each class (plus faculty) gains points. At the end of Lent, the points and the money jar are added together to determine the winner.
- Lifer -- the traditional seminarian who attended a Catholic grade school, high school seminary, and then continued on to philosophical and theological studies.
- Marty Graham-McHugh Name Plate -- the name plate of MGM (QN '69), last vice-principal of Archbishop Quigley, was deemed a collector's item during the 9 years Marty was vice-principal. Students would often steal Marty's name plate and keep it as a souvenir, including his own son. Over the years, at least 5 different name plates would be replaced each year. The stolen plates were often used to decorate lockers, dorm rooms, published in the school paper (Talon senior issue 2002) and taken pictures with Quigley students when traveling.
- Majors -- the intramural, intra-year basketball league. Prior to inter-school play, to "make the majors" was reserved only for the best athletes.
- (The) Matchbox -- a Days of the Giants nickname for the Quigley gymnasium at 103 E. Chestnut, which barely accommodated a regulation basketball court, and doubled as a handball court, with wood paneling on its north side.
- Memorial Hall -- the east attic where students and faculty sneaked up and signed their names and class year. Earliest records indicates students from the class of 1918 and 1919, all four initials etched in stone. The rest have been signed in chalk with last name and graduation year. Memorial Hall can be accessed through the Crow's Nest.
- Men of Honor -- Young men from Quigley are often categorized as men of piety and honor, through this is not a rule, emphasis on the mass (as of 2001 under Rev. Peter Sneig) helps shape young men of today into charismatic and spiritual characters. Young men from Quigley hold a strong, familial bond with classmates, underclassmen, faculty, and staff. This is also said to be the greatest achievement of Quigley other than producing good Priests: Building men of courage, honor, and faith to better serve the world and the people around them. Although the media during 2007 focused on the fact Archbishop Quigley produced 1 priest in the past 16 years, it neglects the now 10 Quigley alumn in the seminary system now (St. Joseph's College Seminary and Mundeline Seminary), AQPS has also produced fine laymen who serve their church community, 9 of whom teach at AQPS currently, and some, such as Jim Gerros, who had served young orphan boys (age 4-8) in South America. He returned to Quigley seeking aid from the faculty, staff, and students with money, books, and supplies. The student body responded within a period of 2 weeks of over $2100, numerous children's books in Spanish, and numerous supplies. Many students, current and alumn, are immensely proud of the service of their lay brethren in society and the world.
- Minors -- the intramural, within-year basketball league. After inter-school play began and the Quigley seminaries shrunk in size, the two-tier intramural system was abandoned.
- Mission Party -- a festive after-school event, usually on a Wednesday when Thursday was a free day, with card games, open gym and pool, movies, and refreshments, with funds raised going to benefit the Catholic Missions.
- Mission Walk -- organized by Ray Schuman (Q '55), Prof. of Mathematics at QN & AQ, the mission walk was to raise money for the Catholic missions, where students walk from Quigley to Mundelein Seminary, a total of approx . Students are to fund raise money for each mile they walk. From the early 1990s to the early 2000s, the mission walk was a two day even where students departed from Quigley on Friday morning and walk north to Mundelien. It is often tradition for the students who participate to stop by the Cardinal's residence before continuing on. The walk ended in the afternoon on Saturday. It is often tradition that the last mile the participants ran. After 2003, the mission walk was limited to Wrigley Field because of health reasons of the moderator.
- Mock -- the Days of the Giants Quigley student practice of satirizing the professors and each other, sometimes beyond the point of cruelty.
- Mortimer -- A rather dashing wooden doll that belonged to Lizbeth Hennessy (QS and AQPS teacher of fine arts, shocked by lightning at least once, rumored twice) which received explicit abuse from the students via awkward poses. One of the most famous poses include a laid-back approach to life, with a screwdriver between his legs, places on Mrs. Hennesy's desk (not very amused), and a "zeig hiel" in the back of the classroom to express distasted for her strict grading and 'no sleeping in study hall' doctrine. Former students, M. Heinrich and K. McHugh ('06) are often to blame, but claim that they respected the teacher, and all found it funny. Mortimer was later respected and given glamorous positions atop the PA system's box and sacristy, where he found a moment's breath from the torrent of art students in day to day life. Mortimer holds a special aura, overseeing 16 years of AQPS art students crushed under the heavy grading pen of Mrs. Liz Hennessy, and has often been a role model to the less studious Quigley Art Alumn. He has been given a loving new home full of wonderful opportunities for strange positions.
- No girls -- Quigley students were forbidden up to the point of expulsion from the seminary to date or to participate in clubs with girls without prior approval until 1966.
- Non-swimmers -- Quigley seminaries required students to learn to swim during the Days of the Giants. Those who failed to learn attended a special class at the shallow end of the pool. Four-year attendance in the Non-swimmers' class was a mark of some distinction during the Days of the Giants.
- One hundred -- during the Days of the Giants, a semester course grade of one hundred (100) was given to those students who during the semester answered every question correctly on all daily quizzes, exams, and major assignments. This practice was usually limited to language courses, where the feat was more possible, and became subject to Quigley folklore. In a given four or five-year cohort of students during the Days of the Giants, two or three students within the school may have scored 100 in a course.
- Pastor's signature -- during the Days of the Giants, a pastor's letter of recommendation was required for a student to enter Quigley, and pastors as well as parents during the Days of the Giants were required to sign the student's report card at final marking periods. The report card included both grades and demerit totals, so obtaining the pastor's actual signature was a moment of reckoning.
- The Pit -- Hiding place, actually a back stairwell, between buildings in the 10 hundred block of East Pearson where students would congregate in the late 1970s, early 80's to smoke pot.
- Prefect -- during the Days of the Giants, the student in a Latin class designated to monitor the classroom in the absence of the professor, a responsibility given to the student with the highest grades in a marking period.
- Prefect of Discipline -- or disciplinarian, the faculty member responsible for the system of demerits and JUG. A former Quigley disciplinarian, later Bishop Thaddeus J. Jakubowski, stated of disciplinarians, "Many are cold, but few are frozen."
- Procurator -- the business manager of the seminary, who during the Days of the Giants gave ill or injured students a quarter to take the public bus to the nearest hospital.
- Professor, or prof -- a Quigley faculty member.
- Rector -- the head of the school during the Days of the Giants. At the end of each summer during the Days of the Giants, each student was required to write the rector a letter detailing his summer activities, including work, study, reading, recreation, and sacramental practice, beginning with the phrase, "Very Reverend and Dear Monsignor." During an annual personal conference with the rector, the student's letter was discussed.
- Room 209 -- the longstanding location of the disciplinarian's office at Quigley North.
- Room 219 -- during the days of Quigley North & the early days of Archbishop Quigley, alcohol was stored here for the faculty. Currently, pop/cola is stored at Archbishop Quigley.
- The Rope -- A thick rope that was hung from the ceiling of the Gymnasium that you had to climb up senior year before you could graduate.
- Rosie -- during 1999, when the City of Chicago had "Cows on Parade", Archbishop Quigley was donated a blank cow by the city to be decorated. The cow's design was based on the Rose Window of the St. James Chapel; hence, the name Rosie. Rosie was auctioned and then re-donated back to the school. Rosie currently greets all visitors at the 103 E. Chestnut St. door.
- Schola, or Schola Cantorum -- a small group of Quigley students with mature voices trained in Gregorian Chant, who would sing at Quigley or at Holy Name Cathedral during the Days of the Giants.
- Schuman Brownies -- refers to Ray Schuman's (Q '55, QN & AQ math professor) brownies that he sells during the lunch periods for the mission drive. Schuman brownies are infamous for being burnt, extra crispy, and/or extremely under cooked.
- Sit-Down Lunch -- during the academic school year of 2000-07, approximately once a month, the whole school gathered together in the auditorium and have lunch together as a community.
- Sparks -- The official newspaper of Quigley North in its later years. Supposedly stems from an underground newspaper of the 70's called "Sparks from the Candle".
- Special -- a student who did not follow the "lifer" path, but entered seminary at some later point. He was considered to be a "special" person, requiring extra attention in order to help him acclimate and get caught up to the environment which he had not fully benefited from up to this point.
- St-(You)-dy -- A clever note given by Kenneth Strouse (QN, QS, AQ Prof of Chemistry) on students whose tests sink beneath the 60 percent mark.
- Summer Reading Program -- during the Days of the Giants, Quigley students were assigned books to read over the summer, and present summary essays to their professors at the beginning of the fall term.
- Swimming Excuse -- second in prestige only to a bona fide doctor's elevator pass, the swimming excuse authorized a student to avoid the often frigid waters of the Quigley basement-level pool at 103 E. Chestnut.
- The Talon -- The official student newspaper of Archbishop Quigley from 1990 to the present.
- Three hours of homework -- the minimum nightly homework assigned to Quigley students during the Days of the Giants and at Archbishop Quigley.
- Thursday off, Saturday on -- Quigley students went to school on Saturdays and had Thursday off up until 1966. On Thursdays, Quigley students would often go together to the nearest parish gym, which would sometimes be opened for their exclusive use. Parish priests would often also take Thursdays off, and sometimes join the seminarians in recreation.
- The Toilet Paper -- underground newspaper of Archbishop Quigley that published ten separate issues during the 1991-92 school year, produced by students who were unhappy with the results of merging Quigley North and Quigley South. It took on difficulties at the school which students believed were not being adequately addressed, and also had some serious articles on reforms like women priests, alongside extensive satirical jokes aimed at the teachers and administrators, many of whom with which the student body had become frustrated.
- The Urinal -- later underground newspaper of Archbishop Quigley. It first appeared in 1994 penned by disgruntled seniors in the guise of an assignment from one of the teachers. It reappeared in 1999 and once again in 2002. During 2002, the Urinal writers took on aliases such as "Son of Liberty," and "Uncle Sam." The reappearance of the Urinal in 2002 was to express disapproval of censorship placed on the school newspaper, The Talon, by the administration due to the infamous "Breast, Legs, & Thighs - A Restaurant Review of Hooters" written by the class of 2001, which were later confiscated and destroyed by the school administration.
- Wallyball -- a variation of volleyball played by Quigley students whereby the narrowness of its school gym was used as a positive aspect to keep the ball live and in play off the windows, walls, and anything else it might hit, save the floor itself
- Wrestling -- required for all Quigley students until 1970.
- Yearbook Office -- over the many decades of Quigley, the yearbook office had been relocated numerous times. The original location was in the west wing of Quigley, in the southwest corner, under the stairs and by the courtyard entrance. It was then moved to 3 1/2 floors east, often referred to as the Crow's Nest. Afterwards, the yearbook office was moved to the room across from 311. When Rev. David Jones was appointed President of Archbishop Quigley in March 2000, the yearbook office was once again moved to make room for the president's office. The final relocation was next door to a room between 305 and the hallway leading to 311 & the faculty lounge.
- Yellow sheet of paper -- daily quizzes in Quigley subjects were handed in on yellow sheets of paper from pads 5.5 in. x 8.5 in. purchased by all students during the Days of the Giants.
- Young Seminarian's Manual -- Actually entitled, The Young Seminarian, a handbook required to be purchased by Quigley students until the late 1960s. Written originally in 1922 by Benjamin Felix Marcetteau, S.S., the spiritual director of the Theological College of Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C., and reissued in 1962 and 1966, it contained prayers, spiritual readings, and guidance on manners, and helped establish much of the basis for spiritual direction and lifestyle at Quigley during the Days of the Giants, as influenced by the seminary traditions of the Society of Saint-Sulpice. One of the more memorable quotes in the book is from page 316, "Never do a mean or sneaking thing."
Other Quigley Facts, Figures
- Roger Pinon, (AQ '07) highest ranked cross country state (9th place, 15:22 - school record) and national (21st place, 15:35) finisher. Highest ranked state track finisher (2nd place, 4:23.09 - school record).
- Kenneth Strouse, chemistry teacher, the only teacher to have taught at Quigley North, Quigley South and Archbishop Quigley
- Despite press reports to the contrary, the Quigley seminaries have over the course of their century history educated more priests, almost 2,500, than lawyers, not formally counted or verified. Lawyer alumni have outnumbered priest alumni in the school's final fifteen years, since according to the Chicago Tribune article cited, only one Quigley graduate, Rev. Pawel Komperda, has been ordained since 1990, and a few have become attorneys. This count does not consider Quigley graduates currently studying for the priesthood.