The college had its origins in 1881 with the establishment of the Auckland Teachers' Training College. The college’s Epsom campus was established in 1926 - original building 1925 by John Farrell, demolished 1976. The college absorbed the Ardmore Teachers College (1974), Loretta Hall, Kindergarten Teachers College (1975) and North Shore Teachers College (1982). The college was known as Auckland Teachers College until 1985 when it merged with the Secondary Teachers College to form the Auckland College of Education.
Its preservice teacher education programmes included degree and graduate programmes from early childhood to secondary education, and kura kaupapa Māori. It also offered tertiary qualifications in social work, human services and training and development.