The Royal Windermere Yacht Club
is a private members club
, situated at Fallbarrow Road, Bowness on Windermere
The club originated in 1860 when it was known as the Windermere Sailing Club. The club started to organise yacht racing on Windermere, and introduced limits on size and handicapping for different types of yacht. Prior to this, yacht racing was organised on an 'ad hoc' basis; some yachts were enormous, such as one called Hebe which weighed in at 20 tons and could only navigate the narrows off Cockshot Point if it was on a dead run.
In 1887 Sir William Forwood acquired the Royal Warrant for the club. This was on the occasion of the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria.
Racing at RWYC is divided into six classes. They are;
Windermere 17' class yachts
Flying Fifteen (keelboat)
- Hall, B,. (1960)The Royal Windermere Yacht Club 1860-1960 John Sherratt & Son, Altrincham
- RWYC Royal Windermere Yacht Club website