The First Baptist Church
is a historic church building
in Muskogee, Oklahoma
. The church was built in 1903 and was the first church building for the African-American
population of Muskogee County
. It was built in a Romaneasque Revival
style. It features two asymmetrical, crenalated towers and a steeply pitched gabled roof. The build is clad in two types of red brick. The two types of brick are separated by a rusticated limestone belt course
. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places
in 1984 for architectural significance and for its importance in local African-American history.
First Baptist "evolved from a mission school founded in 1877 for blacks and Indians". It is one of four churches included in the Black Protestant Churches of Muskogee Theme Resource study.
Muskogee had a "thriving" black community with a business district of "several retail stores, physicians and attorneys offices, a black-owned bank, and a black newspaper, the Muskogee Cimeter." The population included 7,831 blacks in 1910 (31% of the total Muskogee population).