Chung Cheng High School (Chinese: 中正中学) is a Special Assistance Plan (SAP) secondary school in Singapore. It was opened in 1939 at Kim Yam Road by Aw Boon Haw and other businessmen. It started as an all boys school but became a co-ed school after World War II.
The school is named after President Chiang Kai-Shek of the Republic of China, who is also known as Chiang Cheng Chung.
Chung Cheng High School is the only SAP school with a branch school, now known as Chung Cheng High School (Yishun) located at Yishun St. 61. The main school is now located at 40–56 Goodman Road. Both schools are also affiliated to Nanyang Junior College. Chung Cheng High School (Main) is renowned for its lake, known as the Zhong Zheng Hu (中正湖); its size has been reduced by about two-thirds by several school-expansion programmes since the 1950s. The recent phase of upgrading cost Chung Cheng High School (Main) around $70 million, and saw the renovation of several buildings, such as the Administration Building. The new extension, which boasts an array of facilities, is built on a portion of the lake, with part of the building extending into the lake. The main building has the auditorium which was the largest in the whole South East Asia region when it was opened.
School Anthem is in Chinese - English Translation below :|
曰吾中正 至大至刚 矗立星洲 巍巍昂昂
华夏声教 广披炎荒 欧印文明 他山之长
好学力行 知耻是倡 日新月异 不息自强
止於至善 万国同光 大哉中正 悠久无疆
- Overlooking the eastern shore of Singapore
- Gallantly stands the magnificent Chung Cheng of ours
- Spreading far and wide our cultural heritage and traditions,
- Enriching it with the best of all great civilizations,
- By this we fulfil our mission.
- With enthusiasm and perseverance we strive
- To achieve moral virtues and excellence.
- With new knowledge and wisdom we seek,
- To constantly reinforce our confidence.
- To be the best we can be,
- Our success and glory we share
- With people of all countries.
- To eternity we perpetuate
- The aspirations of our magnificent Chung Cheng,
- Far beyond all boundaries.
Chung Cheng High school (Main) was accorded SAP status in 1979, and achieved autonomous status in 1996 for consistently good O-level
results. The school was placed in Band 1
for the recent school ranking exercise 2007. The founding principal, Dr Chuang Chu Lin was also Vice-Chancellor of Principal of Nanyang University
Chung Cheng High School (Main)
- 1939-1957: Dr Chuang Chu Lin
- 1957-1957: Mr Shen Weilin
- 1958-1959: Mr Wang Changji
- 1960-1960: Mr Lin Yuji
- 1960-1960: Mr Lin Qiyuan
- 1961-1967: Mr Huang Faggui
- 1967-1967: Mr Yao Fusen
- 1967-1974: Mr Qiu Xinmin
- 1974-1981: Mr Chia Thiam Soon
- 1982-1994: Mr Goh Seow Chew
- 1995-2000: Mr. Yang Che Kay
- 2001-2004: Mr. Yue Lip Sin
- 2005 to present: Mr Lo Chee Lin
Chung Cheng High School (Yishun)
- 1939-1957: Dr Chuang Chu Lin
- 1957-1960: Mr Ko Pei Teck
- 1960-1970: Mr Koh Chong Peng
- 1970-1978: Mdm Chuan Wei Liang
- 1979-1994: Mr Chua Hun Cheong
- 1994-1999: Mr Ong Kian Choon
- 1999-2006: Mr Yap Juye Long
- 2007 to present: Mr Ong Kock Hua
Both schools' uniforms are quite similar. The only difference that set them apart is that Chung Cheng (Main)'s uniform has an additional red name tag. Both have white blouses and eight-pleated skirts for girls, white shirts and shorts for boys in Secondary 1 and 2 and long pants for boys in Secondary 3 and 4. The blouse has two breast pockets and seven metal buttons in total, two the shoulders, two on each pocket and three down the front. There are also differences in the school badges.