is a parish municipality
This unusual municipality measures only some 60 hectares (0.6 square kilometres or 150 acres) in area and has a listed population of 2.
Saint-Louis-de-Gonzague-du-Cap-Tourmente is located north-east of the municipality of Saint-Joachim, Quebec
and east of near Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré
, in the regional county municipality
of La Côte-de-Beaupré
in the region
Located near the provincial capital of Quebec City, it is part of the Communauté métropolitaine de Québec.
Named for Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
and Cap Tourmente, a stormy promontory named by Samuel de Champlain
, the municipality was set up in 1917 by a law that detached certain buildings and lands belonging to the Séminaire de Québec
from the parish of Saint-Joachim. At this point, it had an area of several square kilometres, including farmland; however, the law specified that if the Séminaire sold any of its property, it would revert to Saint-Joachim.
By and by, all of the Séminaire's property was sold and was thereby returned to Saint-Joachim, except for the Petit-Cap property, which now constitutes the entire territory of the municipality.
The municipality is not governed by a municipal council but by the Board of Directors of the Séminaire de Québec.