[shat-uh-gey, -gee; Fr. shah-toh-gey]

Chateauguay, Quebec is an off-island suburb of Montreal, in southwestern Quebec, Canada, southwest of Montreal, located both on the Chateauguay River and Lac St-Louis, which is a section of the St. Lawrence River. As of the 2005 census, the total population of Chateauguay was 41,023.

The city's local newspapers are the Le Soleil (The Sun) and L'information. As of 1999, the current mayor of Chateauguay is Sergio Pavone. He has since then been reelected in both 2003 and 2005.


The land was first given to Charles Lemoyne by the governor of New France at the time, the Count of Frontenac with the intention of setting up a seigneurie in the area. Afterwards the seigneurie was assumed by Zacharie Robutel de la Noue in 1706. In 1763 France relinqueshed its claims in Lower Canada and Châteauguay was now under British mandate. The seigneurie was bought by Marguerite d'Youville, a founder of the Québec religious society Soeurs Grises in 1765 and 10 years later construction began on the Church of Saint-Joachim.

Châteauguay plays an important part in the colonial history of North Ameirca. With the United States having declared war on Britain in 1812, Châteauguay was seen as little more than a good vantage point to post troops to defend Montreal against an invasion. This prong of the American advance on Montreal ended with the Battle of the Châteauguay, where on October 25, 1813 Lieutenant Colonel Charles de Salaberry succeeded in halting the American force of 4,000 advancing on Montreal with only some 400 troops, mostly French-Canadian and 170 Mohawk allies. The second American incursion towards Montreal was defeated shortly after at Crysler's Farm on November 11.

During the Lower Canada Rebellion, Châteauguay was taken by the British army, who carried out the arrests of dozens of French-Canadians, including the leader of the rebels, François-Maurice Lepailleur, who was later exiled to Australia. Two natives of Châteauguay, Joseph Duquet and another sympathiser were later hanged at the prison at Au-pied-du-courant.

The actual village of Châteauguay was created in 1855, after the abolition of the seigneurie system in Quebec by the British colonial regime. Later on the city annexed two neighboring districts, Châteauguay-Heights (1968) and Châteauguay-Centre (1975). In 1982, with the passage of the Loi sur l'aménagement et l'urbanisme, Québec, the city became part of the Roussillon Regional County Municipality.

Recent history

In the 1970s the community was terrorized by the serial rapist and murderer who, while apprehended, has never been identified.

A gang of local youths terrorized the city for 2 years during the late 1990's. They had been given the name "The Bat Gang" by local police for the violent nature of there crimes, using bats to terrorize their victims. They called themselves the Black Clover Gang and were reputed to have up to 100 active members during there heydey. Local Mayor Sergio Pavone vowed to find those responsible and remove them from the city.

The leaders of the gang were eventually convicted on smaller charges unrelated to the gang activity. True to Pavones word the three main members left the City.



Mother tongue from Canada 2006 Census
Language Population Percentage (%)
French only 27,285 65%
English only 10,710 25.52%
Both English and French 395 0.94%
Other languages 3,580 8.53%


  • Public Security The Chateauguay Police have more than eighty officers. Their duties include investigations, crime prevention and routine city patrols. The force also participates in many community efforts. The majority of these outreach programs are aimed at Chateauguay youth and focus on the prevention of drug and alcohol use. The force, originally having only jurisdiction within the city limits expanded its jurisidction over the nearby cities of Lery, Mercier, Beauharnois and Saint-Isidore between 2002 and 2007 through agreements between the municipalities.
  • Public transit is assured by CITSO (Conseil Intermunicipal de Transport du Sud-Ouest). They run two Chateauguay-Angrignon loop bus routes circulating in opposite directions. A city minibus transfers commuters from the western part of the suburb to the downtown, where the other off-peak routes pass. During rush hours, more bus routes connect the various neighbourhoods with the Angrignon bus terminal and metro station. A special express bus route connects western Chateauguay and the Chateauguay Park-and-ride with downtown Montreal, only during rush hours. A reserved lane on Highway 138 eastbound makes the connection significantly faster when the Mercier Bridge is congested. The Chateauguay public transit system also offers a Taxi-Bus service which allows those people who live outside of the normal bus routes to, by way of transfer, use a taxi funded by CITSO to drop them off at specific points in the city usually within walking distance of their residence. This service has proven itself quite useful and popular amongst those residents who utilize it.

HVDC-back-to-back station

At Châteauguay there is since 1984 one of the largest HVDC-back-to-back stations in the world with an operating voltage of 140 kV and a maximum transmission rate of 1000 MW.


The majority of the education institutions within Chateauguay are public with the exception of College Heritage which is semi-private (And is actually a high school and not a College.) A small list of Chateauguay schools are.

  • Collège Héritage - Semi-Private High school for French speaking students. (also houses 5th and 6th grade elementary school students)
  • Howard S Billings - High school for English speaking students.
  • Louis Philippe Pare or more commonly known as L.P.P - High school for French speaking students.
  • Gabrielle-Roy - High school for french speaking students.
  • Centennial Park Elementary - Elementary school for English speaking students.(Sometimes Known as CPS)
  • St-Jude - * '''Elementary school for French speaking students
  • Mary Gardner - Elementary school for English speaking students.
  • Ecole de La Rive - Elementary school for French speaking students.
  • Laberge - Elementary school for French speaking students.
  • Harmony School - Elementary school for English speaking students.
  • St-Jean Baptiste - Elementary school for French speaking students.
  • St-Wilibrord - Elementary school for English speaking students.
  • Gerin Lajoie - Elementary school for French speaking students.
  • Notre Dame de l'Assomption - Elementary school for French speaking students.
  • Marguerite-Bourgeois - High school for French speaking students.

NOVA Career centre for adult students recently established itself in a building adjacent to Howard S. Billings. Their previous location was in the High School.

During the 1980s, three English elementary schools became French due to a demographic shift.

  • St-Paul School: The first, an English Catholic elementary. It remained property at the time of the Commission Scolaire de Chateauguay. It later was re-named Ecole des Trois Sources.
  • Julius Richardson: The oldest of the English elementary schools in Chateauguay. It closed in the early 80s and became the Centre l'Accore d'Abottsford. It is an adult education center now. It was a school belonging to the then "Chateauguay Valley School Board" it was ceded to the "Commission Scolaire de Chateauguay".
  • Robert A. Jobber: This school was the final English school to close. It was shuttered at the end of the 1987-88 school year. During its final years classroom space was leased out to the Catholic school board to house grade 6 students from neighboring Ecole Laberge. Robert A. Jobber, which is architecturally identical to Centennial Park school, became Ecole Gabrielle Roy. To maintain the Robert A. Jobber name the gymnasium at Centennial Park was named in his honor.

Famous people

  • Annie L Hayr Jack, a writer and horticulturist was Canada's first professional female garden writer. Jack was known for writing not only information about gardening but she also wrote short stories, social commentaries and poems. Although she lived and later on died in Chateauguay she was born in England.
  • Corey Crawford (born 31 December 1984 in Châteauguay, Quebec) is a hockey goalie, currently playing in the American Hockey League with the Rockford IceHogs. Crawford was the Blackhawks' 2nd round choice (52nd overall) in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft. He was the second goaltender to be drafted that year after Pittsburgh's Marc-Andre Fleury.
  • Caroline Van Vlaardingen who is a reporter for CTV Montreal grew up and went to school in Chateauguay, QC.
  • Kim St-Pierre, the goalie for Team Canada's women hockey team, is a two-time gold medalist at both the 2002 and the 2006 Winter Olympics.
  • Pierre Falardeau who brought us the Elvis Gratton series is a Chateauguay native. As well the first 30 minutes of Elvis Gratton, Le King des Kings is filmed in Chateauguay
  • Veteran comic book artist Dale Eaglesham spent the first 26 years of his life in Châteauguay. He is currently illustrating Justice Society of America for DC Comics.
  • Astrophysicist Hubert Reeves was born in the town west of Chateauguay, Léry.
  • Artist, graphic designer, and illustrator, Michael Zavacky, inventor of the emoticon and designer of the 2008 "Celebration" stamp for Canada Post was born and raised in Chateauguay.
  • Artist and illustrator, Chester Brown, was raised in Chateauguay and attended Julius Richardson and Howard S. Billings schools. He was the creator of the SuperBee cartoons in the HSB yearbook.

Geographic Location

See also


External links

Search another word or see châteauguayon Dictionary | Thesaurus |Spanish
Copyright © 2015, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature