The term mantle
could refer to:
- A mantle is a piece of clothing, similar to a robe but sleeveless and often open in the front, worn as an outer covering.
All other meanings of the word derive from this one.
- Mantle (vesture) (Mandyas) is an Eastern Orthodox vesture worn by monastics and higher clergy.
- Mantle (geology) is a layer in the interior of Earth or another planet. Inside the Earth, Mantle is sandwiched between the crust in the top and the core in the bottom.
- A mantle (mollusc) is an organ possessed by mollusks which is used to secrete their shells.
- Gas mantle is a device used in lanterns, gas and kerosene lamps to produce a bright light.
- A mantle (also mantel, fireplace mantel, mantelpiece) is the stone or wood beam that serves as a support for the structure above a fireplace.
- A mantle (climbing) is a rock climbing move. It is used to surmount a ledge or feature in the rock in the absence of any useful holds directly above.
- Mickey Mantle was an American baseball player.
- The Mantle is an album by Agalloch.
- In heraldry, mantling is drapery that is tied to the helmet above the shield.