A cacodemon (or cacodaemon) is an evil spirit or (in the modern sense of the word) a demon. The opposite of a cacodemon is an agathodaemon or eudaemon, a good spirit or angel. The word cacodemon comes through Latin from the Ancient Greek κακοδαίμων (kakodaimōn) meaning an evil spirit, whereas daimon would be a neutral spirit in Greek.
In psychology, cacodemonia (or cacodemonomania) is a form of insanity in which the patient believes that they are possessed by an evil spirit.
The first known occurrence of the word cacodemon dates to 1398.
In popular culture
- Pom Pom dressed up as a Doom-style Cacodemon in the 2007 Homestar Runner Halloween special.
- Also in Homestar, Strong Bad commented that he bet a machine he made that created portals to alternate dimensions could "release some serious cacodemons". (Strong Bad email 150)
- In the popular online game, Anarchy Online, a pet that one of the professions can summon is the Cacodemon.
- Deicide's second album, Legion, contains a song called "Satan Spawn, The Caco-Daemon".
- The Mega-level Digimon Daemon of the Seven Great Demon Lords is based on the Cacodemon in both name and design.