, a succinate-CoA ligase (GDP-forming)
is an enzyme
the chemical reaction
- GTP + succinate + CoA GDP + phosphate + succinyl-CoA
The 3 substrates of this enzyme are GTP, succinate, and CoA, whereas its 3 products are GDP, phosphate, and succinyl-CoA.
This enzyme belongs to the family of ligases, specifically those forming carbon-sulfur bonds as acid-thiol ligases. The systematic name of this enzyme class is succinate:CoA ligase (GDP-forming). Other names in common use include succinyl-CoA synthetase (GDP-forming), succinyl coenzyme A synthetase (guanosine diphosphate-forming), succinate thiokinase, succinic thiokinase, succinyl coenzyme A synthetase, succinate-phosphorylating enzyme, P-enzyme, SCS, G-STK, succinyl coenzyme A synthetase (GDP-forming), succinyl CoA synthetase, and succinyl coenzyme A synthetase. This enzyme participates in citrate cycle (tca cycle) and propanoate metabolism.
As of late 2007, 6 structures have been solved for this class of enzymes, with PDB accession codes , , , , , and .
- Boyer, P.D., Lardy, H. and Myrback, K. (Eds.), The Enzymes, 2nd ed., vol. 6, Academic Press, New York, 1962, p. 387-399.
- Kaufman S, Gilvarg C, Cori O and Ochoa S "Enzymatic oxidation of alpha-ketoglutarate and coupled phosphorylation". J. Biol. Chem. 203 869–888.
- Mazumder R, Sanadi DR and Rodwell WV "Purification and properties of hog kidney succinic thiokinase". J. Biol. Chem. 235 2546–2550.
- SANADI DR, GIBSON M, AYENGAR P "Guanosine triphosphate, the primary product of phosphorylation coupled to the breakdown of succinyl coenzyme A". Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 14 434–6.
- The CAS registry number for this enzyme class is .
Gene Ontology (GO) codes