The village is one of the oldest in Cieszyn Silesia, it was mentioned for the first time in a written document in 1229 as Koczobontz. It was then a property of Benedictine monastery in Orłowa. However, there was a fortified settlement (gród) in this place called Cieszynisko (or Old Cieszyn). It was an important center since the 8th century. After decline of the settlement at the beginning of the 12th century, it was relocated to Wzgórze Zamkowe (castle hill) in Cieszyn. Near the old place a new settlement was created, Podobora. It is today an archaeological site and was partly rebuilt to form archeopark which is possible to visit.
Remains of old Gothic fort from the 13th century still remain, in its vicinity a Renaissance fort was built later. It was eventually rebuilt to a château at the beginning of the 19th century by new owner. Château gained current look in 1875-1879, when it was completely rebuilt. It was again renovated in 1947.
There is a border crossing with Poland in the village, one of the largest in the country and the largest between the Czech Republic and Poland. It is connected with the Polish one by the long bridge built in 1991 running upon the Olza River.