Brutal: Paws of Fury is a Fighting game published by GameTek Inc. in 1994. The game features a full cast of anthropomorphic animals as selectable fighters. The game also featured an ability to learn new moves and save them via a password feature.
Brutal: Paws of Fury was released in 1994
in the US, and Kemco
in Japan on the Amiga
, Sega Genesis
and Sega Mega-CD
, and was ported to the Super NES
later the same year. Another version, Brutal: Above the Claw
was released on the 32X
with two new playable characters and a remixed introduction. The general content and gameplay has remained constant throughout all incarnations, although the Sega
releases boasted superior graphics and sound. Many fighting game
fans preferred the SNES version, if only due to the 6-button controller, each button to correspond with strong, medium, and weak punches/kicks, while the standard Sega Genesis 3-button controller forced players to toggle between punches and kicks. This was easily remedied with use of the Sega 6 button pad.
Brutal: Paws of Fury (1994)
Every four years on the uncharted Brutal Island, the world's toughest martial artists are invited to compete in the most gruelling tournament, aptly referred to as the Brutal Island Tournament. Only the winner of this tournament gains the privilege to challenge the Dalai Llama, the greatest fighter in the world, for the coveted Belt of Heaven championship.
Brutal: Above the Claw (1995)
Four years after the Paws of Fury tournament, the participants return to Brutal Island to once again compete for the match against the Dalai Llama for the Belt of Heaven. The tournament is also the Llama's way of "testing" the warriors, judging whom among them possess the deepest "warrior's spirit."
Cast of characters
All the characters in the game are various anthropomorphic
animals. The original Brutal: Paws of Fury
- Kung Fu Bunny - A rabbit monk.
- Prince Leon of Kenya - A lion rock star.
- Rhei Rat - A rat who is an accomplished Thai boxer.
- Tai Cheetah - A cheetah who is mentoring Kendo Coyote.
- Kendo Coyote - A coyote who is motivated by greed.
- Foxy Roxy - A vixen, who is a politician and social activist.
- Ivan the Bear - A bear who claims to be the strongest animal in the world.
- Panthra - A panther who is a member of a sinister cult.
- Karate Croc - A crocodile bar brawler.
- Dalai Llama - A llama who is currently the holder of the Belt of Heaven championship.
Note: Karate Croc and the Dalai Llama are only playable by means of inputting a secret button sequence, and The Pantha is only available in the Sega CD version.
Brutal: Above the Claw introduces two additional characters:
- Chung Poe - A mole who can transform into an anthropomorphic bat-dragon hybrid during battle.
- Psycho Kitty - A cat who apparently suffers from hyperactivity.