The Bury to Holcombe Brook Line was a British railway line which opened between Bury Bolton Street railway station and Holcombe Brook railway station in 1882.
In 1912 Dick, Kerr & Co.
factory were considering tendering for a Brazilian
contract and approached the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway
to use the branch for test purposes at Dick, Kerr’s expense. The line from Bury Bolton Street Station
to Holcombe Brook
was electrified with the overhead
3.5 kV dc
system, rolling stock
was also supplied at their cost. After prolonged trials the trains entered public use on 29 July 1913
. The L&Y purchased the equipment and stock on the successful completion of the trials in 1916. During 1917 work started on the branch to convert to third rail
to match the Manchester to Bury
system. third rail trains started to run on 29 March 1918
Passenger services operated until 1952, while freight services continued until 1963.
- Lost Railways of Lancashire by Gordon Suggitt (ISBN 1-85306-801-2)