- For other uses, see Brindley (disambiguation)
is a village (at ) and civil parish
in the Crewe and Nantwich
district of Cheshire
. The village lies 3¾ miles to the west of Nantwich
. The parish also includes the settlements of Brindley Lea, Ryders Bank and part of Radmore Green, with a total population of a little under 150. Nearby villages include Barbridge
The name Brindley means "a burnt clearing". The township does not appear in the Domesday survey
, the first mention of Brindley being in 1288. Brindley fell within the ancient parish
and was once part of the manor of Baddiley
. Landowners included Willis Allen in 1656, Sir Thomas Mainwaring and Sir Thomas Brereton in 1671, and the Wilbraham and Tomkinson families from 1798.
In common with much of the surrounding area, the village was occupied by Royalist forces as they advanced on Nantwich in December 1643 during the Civil War.
The civil parish was enlarged from 1,090 acres to 1,250 acres in a series of boundary changes between 1871 and 1891.
Since 1967, Brindley has been administered by the Brindley and Faddiley Parish Council, jointly with the adjacent civil parish of Faddiley
Geography, transport and economy
Radmore Covert lies at , and there is also a small strip of woodland at . An unnamed brook runs east–west across the civil parish and there are numerous small meres and ponds scattered across the farmland. The land use is predominantly agricultural, with cattle pasture, horse paddocks and some arable land.
The A534 (Wrexham Road) between Nantwich and Wrexham runs east–west towards the southern boundary of the parish. Other through routes include Brindley Lea Lane and Brindley Hall Road, which both run broadly north from the A534 towards Haughton, Long Lane, which runs to the north west from the A534 to Radmore Green and Haughton, and Kidderton Lane, which runs to the south east from the A534 towards Hollin Green.
According to the 2001 census, the civil parish had a population of 134, in 58 households. The population has remained broadly constant since the beginning of the 19th century; the historical population figures were 148 (1801), 186 (1851), 127 (1901) and 123 (1951).
Radbrook Cottage on Long Lane in Radmore Green is a timber-framed black-and-white cottage which dates from 1617. A black-and-white cottage on Kidderton Lane dates originally from the late 17th century. Both cottages are listed at grade II. Brindley Lea Hall is a brown-brick farmhouse which was built around 1860 as part of the Tollemache estate; it is also grade II listed. The present house was built on the site of a moated house, believed to be the seat of the Allen family during the 17th century. The former Wesleyan Methodist chapel in Brindley village dates from 1873.
The Brindley and Faddiley School was built on the common in Brindley Lea in 1850; it closed in 1983. Brindley civil parish falls within the catchment areas of Acton Church of England Primary School in Acton
and Malbank School and Sixth Form College
Culture and community
The Goodwill Hall in Brindley Lea (at ) was built by volunteers in 1962–64, based on an army hut from Isycoed. It forms a venue for theatrical and musical performances as part of the Cheshire Rural Touring Network and also provides a meeting place for local organisations. The mobile library
service visits Brindley village weekly.
- Latham FA, ed. Acton (The Local History Group; 1995) (ISBN 0 9522284 1 6)