, Ger. Brixen,
town (1991 pop. 16,992), Trentino-Alto Adige, N Italy, on the Brenner Road, and at the confluence of the Isarco and Rienza rivers. Bressanone and its surrounding territory were ruled by prince-bishops from the 11th cent. In 1803 the bishopric was secularized and passed to Austria as a part of the Tyrol
. The town passed to Italy with the S Tyrol in 1919; it retains a mixed German and Italian population. Of note are the cathedral (13th cent., with a baroque interior) and the Palazzo Vescovile (17th cent.).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia Copyright © 2004.
Licensed from Columbia University Press