The earliest documentary reference to the mill is in the Cheshire Chamberlains' Accounts of 1302–03. Further documentary records of the mill are in 1464 in the records of the Troutbeck family and in the Land Tax returns between 1784 and 1832. The mill was sold at the Shrewsbury Sale of 1917 at which time it consisted of a three-floor corn mills, including two undershot water wheels (one of which was out of repair), drying kilns, a barn, a stable and a shippon. In 1952 it ceased to be a working mill and was taken over by the North West Water Authority (now United Utilities). It was in a derelict condition and in the 1970s it was re-roofed and other repairs were made. Further repairs were made in 1998.
It is built of brick with a Welsh slate roof and a brick chimney. It has a long L-shaped plan in two storeys with a 12-bay west front. Two wheels and wheelpits are present. The north wheelpit has a cast iron single-spoke wheel connected to flour sifting machinery dated 1883. The south wheelpit has a restored low breast wheel and a complete train of machinery driving three pairs of stones. The ground floor has a quarry tiled floor and a cast iron fireplace.