occurs when the heat produced by a reaction becomes sufficient to sustain a chemical reaction. The sudden change from a cold gas
to a hot plasma
in a plasma source is also called ignition.
- See also: Making fire or ''Ignite (disambiguation)
Other uses of ignition include:
- in chemistry, it refers to heating a material to the point that it spontaneously combusts, or until it ceases to lose mass.
- in nuclear fusion, it refers to the conditions under which a plasma can be maintained by fusion reactions without external energy input.
- in semiconductor processing, ignition is the process of starting up a plasma generator. In DC plasma systems, this involves a transition from voltaic arcing to sustained and delocalized plasma generation.
- an ignition system is a method for activating and controlling the combustion of fuel in an internal combustion engine, often through the use of a key
Ignition may also refer to:
- Ignition (song), a hip hop song by artist R. Kelly
- Ignition, Portable Sounds, a christian rock/hip hop song by tobyMac
- Ignition (Trivium song), a song by American metal band Trivium
- Ignition (album), an album by the punk rock band The Offspring
- Ignition (computer game), a top-down racing game for PC published in 1997
- Ignition (event), a Burning Man regional event held in Montreal, Quebec
- Ignition (film), a 2001 film
- Ignition Entertainment, a computer video games company founded in 2002