First settled in 1753, the area was part of Wilkins Township until 1885, when Braddock Township was incorporated. On May 2, 1946, after Braddock Township had already been broken up into the boroughs of Swissvale, North Braddock, and Rankin, the remaining area incorporated itself as Braddock Hills.
Braddock Hills experienced a housing boom following WWII. Many GI's used their VA loans to acquire newly built homes. Most of the new homes were built on Illinois Ave, Park Ave, Columbia Ave, Circle, McKelvey Ave, and Kings Ave. These homes were generally small brick Cape Cods, colonials, or brick ranches. While much of the borough has new housing, there are many older structures. Miners built shot gun style homes. Many of these homes were located on Indiana Avenue. Some are still in use.
Many older residents can recall when the Braddock Hills Shopping Center was the location of a drive in movie theater. The drive-in was torn down in the late 70's and was replaced with a shopping center that included a Dollar Bank, Gold Circle Department Store, Giant Eagle, Rite Aid, and several small shops and restaurants. Gold Circle would later close and was replaced with a Builder's Square that was also closed. This part of the shopping center is currently closed although there have been plans for the space. During the 1980's the shopping center's parking lot hosted a Sunday Flea market and the Braddock Hills Days Festival. Other long gone businesses include Azinger's (corner store with lunch meat, milk, bread, and candy), Gigante's (Italian grocery store), Stop and Go's, the gas station on the corner of Brinton and Wilkins Ave. and the infamous Hank's ConCan (bar located on Wilkins Ave)
Like many Western Pennsylvania communities, Braddock Hills was a coal town. There are many abandoned coals mines located throughout the town. This has resulted in sink holes in an area that has been called the "coal fields". The coal fields are located in the center of the community. It is a wooded area that is home to deer, raccoons, opossums, squirrels, and many types of wild birds. At one time, there were several "paths" or foot trails that criss-crossed the borough. During the 1970's, the center of the coal fields had a sports field that was accessible by a dirt road. Local softball and baseball teams would play among the trees.
Another prominent historical feature of the borough is the Braddock Catholic Cemetery. It served as the burying ground for many mill workers in the surrounding communities.
Braddock Hills was also the home of Leonard A. Funk, a medal of honor receipient. A monument dedicated to his exemplary service is located on Brinton road in front of the senior citizen's building.
There were 1,020 households out of which 19.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 33.2% were married couples living together, 13.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 49.7% were non-families. 46.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 27.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.94 and the average family size was 2.76.
In the borough the population was spread out with 18.6% under the age of 18, 6.6% from 18 to 24, 23.8% from 25 to 44, 22.7% from 45 to 64, and 28.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 46 years. For every 100 females there were 80.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 74.8 males.
The median income for a household in the borough was $30,382, and the median income for a family was $40,517. Males had a median income of $32,434 versus $24,009 for females. The per capita income for the borough was $18,545. About 10.2% of families and 13.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 16.3% of those under age 18 and 12.1% of those age 65 or over.