Bodega is an unincorporated town in Sonoma County in the U.S. state of California. The corresponding Zip Code Tabulation Area had a population of 571 as of the 2000 Census.
Bodega is located on Bodega Highway, about west of Freestone, California. Salmon Creek flows through the town.
There were formerly two Coast Miwok
villages in the area: one (called Kennekono
) sited near the current town and another (called Suwutenne
) further north.
In 1843, Captain Stephen Smith established the first West Coast lumber mill near Bodega. Saint Teresa of Avila Church was built in 1859 and dedicated in 1861.
Watson School, a registered historic place managed by the Sonoma County Regional Parks Department, is located just east of town.