Bramcote is a settlement in the Broxtowe district of Nottinghamshire, about five miles south-west of Nottingham. It was a separate village but is now a suburb of Greater Nottingham. Originally one of the main roads between the cities of Nottingham and Derby (about 15 miles apart) passed through the village centre. Nowadays the main Nottingham - Derby road (the A52 - called the Brian Clough Way in honour of the late football manager who brought success to both Derby County and Nottingham Forest passes a little to the north of the village centre, partially cutting the centre from the Bramcote Hills part of the village. The original road snakes through the old centre entering a steep-sided cutting just south of the centre, forming a blind bend known as 'Devils Bend'.
Until the 1960s there was a country house estate on the north side of the village, but this has passed into public ownership. The house was demolished in 1968 and its grounds became a public park now known as 'Bramcote Park'. This includes grassed parkland and wooded hillside. Nearby places are Beeston, Wollaton, Chilwell and Stapleford. Bramcote is part of the Borough of Broxtowe. Until 1974 it was part of Beeston and Stapleford Urban District, having been in Stapleford Rural District until 1935.
There are five local schools namely;
In the village centre there is also a primary school, a pre-school nursery and a large recreational park, King George's Park, on its west side on the slopes of a hill with views out over the Erewash valley to the north and west. St John's College, Nottingham is a Church of England theological college situated in Bramcote on the southern edge.
The Church of St. Michael and All Angels, Bramcote is the local Anglican (Church of England website) Parish Church of Bramcote. In addition to the regular pattern of Sunday services, St. Michaels's runs a comprehensive programme of spiritual and social activities for all ages. It was built in 1861 and is on Church Street. St. Michael's was built to replace St. Luke's (on Town Street) of which only the churchyard and tower remain.
Bramcote Methodist Church is on Chapel Street, Beeston.
Emmanuel Church is an independent Anglican church that meets in the Bramcote Hills Sport & Community College on Sunday mornings (1030) during the summer months and Sunday afternoons (1530) during the winter months. There is also a programme for youth and children, a men's breakfast group, prayer groups and house groups.
This park offers great views across Bramcote and Stapleford. It is on a steep sloped site with a network of surfaced paths providing a link to the adjacent countryside. There are two free to use tennis courts in the park.
Local public houses are The Sherwin Arms, The Rose Grower and The White Lion (known locally as the 'Top House'). The Bramcote Hills Community Association looks after the interests of residents on the north east side of the village.
In recent years, Bramcote has become increasingly popular with higher income households and local footballers, with many new large homes being built around the Cow Lane and Beeston Fields Drive area. Many of the homes on Beeston Fields Drive have a value of over 1 Million Pounds, and in 2007 it was revealved that the road had the second highest average house price in the whole of the East Midlands.