Violet L. Fisher
is a Bishop
in The United Methodist Church
, elected and consecrated to the Episcopacy in 2000.
Born August 29, 1939, Bishop Violet L. Fisher graduated from Bowie State University with a BS in 1962. She received a M. Ed. from George Washington University in 1978. She attained a D. D., Baltimore College of Bible in 1984 and also received an M. Div., Eastern Baptist Theological Seminary in 1988.
Violet Fisher has one son, Marcus. She was the first African-American woman to be elected to the episcopacy in the Northeast Jurisdiction of the United Methodist Church. She has served as Bishop of the Western and North Central New York Annual Conference since 2000.
- Ordained Elder in Full Connection, King’s Apostle Holiness Church of God Conference, Inc., 1965
- Appointed National Evangelist Northeastern Region, King’s Apostle Holiness Church of God Conference, Inc., 1975
- Ordained Deacon, Eastern Pennsylvania Conference, 1988
- Associate Pastor St. Daniel’s UMC, Chester, PA, 1988-90
- Ordained Elder in Full Connection, Eastern Pennsylvania Conference, 1990
- Pastor Sayer’s Memorial UMC, Philadelphia, PA, 1990-94
- District Superintendent, Mary McLeod Bethune District, 1994 - 2000
- Bishop of the New York West Area, 2000-present
- The Council of Bishops of the United Methodist Church
- InfoServ, the official information service of The United Methodist Church.