A beveled edge refers to an edge of a structure that is not perpendicular (but instead often at 45 degrees) to the faces of the piece. The words bevel and chamfer overlap in usage; in general usage they are often interchanged, while in technical usage they may sometimes be differentiated as shown in the image at right.



Bevel angles can be duplicated using a sliding T bevel.

Graphic design

Typographic bevels are shading and aritifical shadows that emulate the appearance of a 3-dimensional letter.

The bevel is a relatively common effect in graphic editors such as Photoshop. As such, it is in widespread usage in mainstream logos and archetypes.

Bevel when mentioned in the same context with boxes and squares in design refers to a raised effect, and not as commonly mistaken for rounded corners.

Glass and mirrors

Beveled edges are a common aesthetic nicety added to window panes and mirrors.


Geologists refer to any slope of land into a strata of different elevation as a bevel.


In waterskiing, a bevel is the transition area between the side of the ski and the bottom of the ski. Beginners tend to prefer sharp bevels, which allow the ski to glide on the water surface.


With a deck of cards, you can slide the top portion back so that the back of the deck is at an angle. This can be used in card tricks; see also Glossary of conjuring terms.


A Bevel. Standing on one leg while pulling in the foot to the other leg. Toe should flick out while the heel is in to the shin as far as possible.

See also


External links

Search another word or see bevelon Dictionary | Thesaurus |Spanish
Copyright © 2015, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature