(Бердянськ, translit. Berdyans’k
, Бердянск, Berdyansk
) is a port city
in the Zaporizhia Oblast
) of south-central Ukraine
. Serving as the administrative center
of the Berdyansky Raion
), the city itself is directly subordinate to the oblast, and is located on the northern coast of the Sea of Azov
The current estimated population is around 125,000 (as of 2001).
Berdyansk is also home to a health resort with mud-baths and climatic treatments.
The city was founded in 1827 under the name Berdy
, which in 1830 was changed to Novo-Nogaisk
). Its present name was given to the city in 1842.
Between 1939 and 1958 it was known as Osipenko, the name now used by the nearby village Osypenko.
The main cultural and educational institutions of Berdyansk are its Gallery of paintings, Museum of Natural Sciences, the Pedagogical Institute, and the Medical college.
The Museum of City History was to be opened in September 2005.