Bedworth is often pronounced "Bed-uth" by many (but not all) residents of the town and inhabitants of nearby Coventry and Nuneaton, though the standard "Bed-worth" pronunciation is used virtually everywhere else.
The most notable buildings in Bedworth are the Nicholas Chamberlaine Almshouses on All Saint’s Square in the town centre, which are built in Tudor style and date from 1840, having been funded by the local benefactor Nicholas Chamberlaine (1632-1715). The main venue in Bedworth is the Bedworth Civic Hall which has an attached Arts Centre. The St Francis of Assisi Roman Catholic Church is also a prominent building in the town centre. The Bedworth Water Tower is probably the most noticed building in Bedworth, visible from miles around and built in the 19th century. It used to provide water for the houses and the mining facilities.".
A new and interesting building in George Street is the martial arts academy with a Chinese Canopy at the front. Along Mill Street can be seen rows of former weavers' cottages which were once inhabited by Huguenot weavers. Some of these are still used as shops, although most have fallen into a derelict state. The majority of the town centre was built in the postwar period, and has all the hallmarks of such a development. The town centre itself contains some of the usual high street names such as Tesco, Woolworth's, New Look, Boots, Aldi, and Iceland, as well as many charity and card shops.
Domestic appliance insurer Domestic & General has offices in the town centre and provides substantial employment for the community.
Bedworth has a large range of pubs and working men's clubs. These include, but are not limited to: The Bear and Ragged Staff (commonly referred to as Wetherspoons), The Swan, The White Horse, The Miners Arms, The Mount, The Black Horse, The Lord Raglan, The Black Bank, Saunders Hall, Collycroft Working Men's Club, Bedworth Labour Club, The Griffin Inn and The Cricketers Arms in Collycroft.
Bedworth also has an excellent skate park built in the Miners Welfare Park in 2001 after campaigning by local youngsters. Previous to this, most youngsters would skate in the town centre, or in the market area, much to the annoyance of residents and the local police.
Originally a small market town with Saxon origin , Bedworth developed into an industrial town in the 18th and 19th centuries, due largely to coal mining and the overspill of ribbon weaving and textile industries from nearby Coventry . The opening of the Coventry Canal in 1769 and later, the railway in 1850 enhanced the town's growth . Until quite recently Bedworth was primarily a coal mining town, but the last colliery was closed in 1994 .
From 1894 Bedworth was a civil parish within the Foleshill Rural District. In 1928 Bedworth was incorporated as an urban district in its own right In 1974 the Bedworth Urban District was merged with the borough of Nuneaton to create the borough of Nuneaton and Bedworth.
Bedworth has good transport links being situated immediate north of the M6 motorway at junction 3, and being served by the Coventry to Nuneaton railway line. The current Bedworth railway station was opened in 1988 after the original station was closed in the 1960s as part of the Beeching Axe.
The Coventry Canal also runs through the town.
Bus services to the city centre of Coventry are operated competitively by Stagecoach in Warwickshire and National Express Coventry. Stagecoach also provides direct services to Nuneaton, Bulkington, Keresley, Atherstone and Hinckley and a direct service to the University Hospital in Walsgrave, Coventry is provided by Travel De Courcey.
The locally born author George Eliot (Mary Anne Evans) lived at "Griff House" just south of Nuneaton between 1819 and 1841. "Griff House" still stands today as a Premier Travel Inn Hotel and Beefeater Restaurant. Other famous people associated with the town are: