At that time the rates were as follows:
Several other railroads were under construction at this time:
The Georgia Railroad decided to extend the Madison branch to Terminus (Atlanta) and thus compete with the Central Railroad and Banking Company of Georgia (later the Central of Georgia Railroad), which together with the Macon and Western Railroad, were completing for traffic through Charleston's rival port of Savannah, Georgia. By 1850, this railroad had built 213 miles of track and was up to 232 miles by 1860. At the time, goods from the Mississippi and Ohio valleys had to go by riverboat to New Orleans and then via coastwise steamships around the Florida Keys to get to the big population centers in the northeast. Shipping cross-country by rail to the ports of Charleston and Savannah made perfect economic sense.
Although the Civil War saw heavy damage to railroads such as the Georgia Railroad, management used their considerable resources to restore operation as quickly as possible. The Georgia Railroad even resorted to temporarily abandoning the Athens branch to secure enough rail to reopen its main line. Returning Confederate soldiers were given free rides home to the extent that the company's limited rail network would allow.
They also honored all Confederate script issued by their bank. No depositor lost their savings because Confederate money had no value. It helped that the Georgia Railroad and Banking Company had the financial strength to honor those promises. Meanwhile, most southern banks were busy repudiating any obligations related to Confederate currency. This helped solidify the bank's reputation as one of the premiere banks in the southeastern United States well into the 20th century.
The company was later rechartered as the Georgia Railroad Bank, then a subsidiary of the First Railroad and Banking Company, which eventually opened banks in Atlanta under the name of First Georgia Bank.
The Georgia Railroad Bank entered the insurance business using subsidiaries such as First of Georgia, however these were subsequently sold at considerable profit to the company.
In 1881, the president of the Central Railroad and Banking Company of Georgia, Colonel William M. Wadley, personally leased the railroad properties of the Georgia Railroad and Banking Company, including the A&WP and WofA. Wadley assigned half of the lease to the Central and half to the L&N. Following the panic of 1897, the Central went into receivership and its portion of the lease lapsed, whereupon it was eventually reassigned to the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad. In 1902, the ACL acquired controlling interest in the L&N and thus the Georgia, A&WP and WofA became non-operating subsidiaries of the ACL.
With the building of the Savannah and Atlanta Railroad, which connected with the Georgia Railroad at Warrenton, Georgia, the Georgia Railroad now competed with the Central of Georgia Railroad for traffic to and from Savannah. Soon, however, the ACL came to dominate the Augusta interchange traffic through its Charleston and West Carolina Railroad subsidiary and the ACL's own spur from its main line at Florence, Georgia, so now the Georgia Railroad could compete with the Seaboard and Southern Railroad for traffic from Atlanta up the eastern seaboard.
A unique feature of the Georgia Railroad and Banking Company charter was that the legislature gave the corporation a huge tax break. That was challenged many times in the courts, but the company always won. The charter also called for daily except Sunday passenger service. The lawyers advised management to maintain passenger service on all lines so as to not violate the charter, and thus the Georgia was perhaps the last railroad to operate mixed trains in the "Lower 48," well into the Amtrak era.
In 1967 the ACL merged with the Seaboard Air Line Railroad to form the Seaboard Coast Line Railroad [SCL]. In the early 1970s SCL merged with the Louisville and Nashville Railroad and the Clinchfield Railroad to become the Family Lines System. Family Lines continued to operate the Georgia Railroad under its initial charter and thus the Georgia Railroad was maintained as a separate company, with Family Lines leasing the rail properties.
1983 saw the end of the Georgia Railroad as a separate company after Family Lines purchased the railroad properties of the Georgia Railroad and Banking Company, which had until then been the subject of the lease.
Today the original Georgia Railroad and Banking Company is in the real estate development business, controlling numerous properties along its former rail lines.
|2||Stone Mountain, Georgia||16|
|6||Social Circle, Georgia||52|
|11||Union Point, Georgia||95|
|13||Barnett, Georgia||114||Near U.S. Highway 278 and I-20|
|14||Camack, Georgia||125||Old spelling|
|17||Saw Dust, Georgia||146||Now called Harlem|
|18||Berzelia, Georgia||152||Near Berzelia Pond|
|19||Belair, Georgia||162||Now called Grovetown|
Trains departed from Atlanta at 8:55AM and 7:15PM and arrived there at 10:05AM and 6:00PM.
FDIC CREATES A DEPOSIT INSURANCE NATIONAL BANK OF KAYSVILLE, UTAH TO PROTECT INSURED DEPOSITORS OF BARNES BANKING COMPANY, KAYSVILLE, UTAH; ZIONS FIRST NATIONAL BANK TO PROVIDE TEMPORARY OPERATIONAL MANAGEMENT.
Jan 15, 2010; WASHINGTON -- The following information was released by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation: Media Contact: LaJuan...
GEORGIA DEPARTMENT OF BANKING AND FINANCE TAKES POSSESSION OF FIRST GEORGIA BANKING COMPANY, FRANKLIN, GEORGIA.
May 20, 2011; ATLANTA, GA -- The following information was released by the Georgia Department of Banking and Finance: The Georgia Department of...
GEORGIA DEPARTMENT OF BANKING AND FINANCE TAKES POSSESSION OF ENTERPRISE BANKING COMPANY, MCDONOUGH, GEORGIA.
Jan 21, 2011; ATLANTA, GA -- The following information was released by the Georgia Department of Banking and Finance: The Georgia Department of...