Bangs is a city in Brown County, Texas, United States. The population was 1,620 at the 2000 census.
Bangs is located at (31.716392, -99.130949).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.4 square miles (3.6 km²), all of it land.
As of the census
of 2000, there were 1,620 people, 633 households, and 419 families residing in the city. The population density
was 1,171.9 people per square mile (453.3/km²). There were 733 housing units at an average density of 530.3/sq mi (205.1/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 86.91% White
, 4.75% African American
, 0.37% Native American
, 6.42% from other races
, and 1.54% from two or more races. Hispanic
of any race were 12.72% of the population.
There were 633 households out of which 33.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.5% were married couples living together, 12.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.8% were non-families. 32.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 18.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.44 and the average family size was 3.10.
In the city the population was spread out with 26.9% under the age of 18, 6.2% from 18 to 24, 24.6% from 25 to 44, 21.9% from 45 to 64, and 20.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 81.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 73.5 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $23,690, and the median income for a family was $30,208. Males had a median income of $27,212 versus $19,141 for females. The per capita income for the city was $14,216. About 17.4% of families and 20.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 21.1% of those under age 18 and 27.8% of those age 65 or over.
Bangs was named after Samuel Bangs
. Bangs was given the land due to his services as a printer in the Texas Revolution War, it was reported that he never saw the land. Railroad companies built tracks from Brownwood to San Angelo with a depot in Bangs in 1886. The same year a man opened a general store and applied to have a post office established in the store, the application was approved May 24, 1886. In 1892, the first school was built with the population at 50 and 8 established businesses thriving, Bangs incorporated in 1915 with 600 residents and 21 businesses. The following year a water system was installed followed by natural gas lines. Bangs Independent School District was formed in 1927, this eventually consolidated 9 other school districts. In 1937 the first highway, Highway 67, was built through the town. After World War II, housing was boosted in Bangs by the development of new housing units. In 1973, Bangs became the home to the "Terrellites" leader David Heze Terrell. Terrell was the leader of the New Testament Holiness Church and was known for having big white tent revivals. Today, city workers have unearthed bones from a Colombian woolly mammoth; it is currently being excavated.