is a small town in New South Wales
, in Byron Shire
with a population of 1200. The town is 765 km north of Sydney
and 167 km south of Brisbane
, just off the Pacific Highway
. Bangalow's historic streetscape, monthly market and proximity to the popular tourist resort of Byron Bay
has increased its appeal as a tourist destination. Timber cutters established a camp on the banks of Byron Creek
in the 1840s but it wasn't until the 1880s that a town appeared on the site. The town was known as Bangaloe
until 1907, when the modern spelling came into use.
In recent years Bangalow has become a pleasant stop for holiday-makers and day-trippers as its main street is lined with modern cafes and boutique-shops. Organic produce grown nearby is a regular feature in the cafes, in particular the Byron Bay coffee-beans are a popular purchase.
Bangalow Public School was first built in 1884. In 1925, a 4 classroom brick building block was made. The most recent change was 2 old demountables becoming the latest classrooms. Plans for interactive whiteboards were being talked about.