Definitions

bakers-dozen

Netherton, Merseyside

Netherton is an area in the Metropolitan Borough of Sefton, Merseyside, England.

Description

Netherton is found to the north of Litherland and Bootle, to the west of Aintree, and also neighbours Ford and Sefton Village. Netherton is also known in the North of the city of Liverpool. Netherton is a mostly residential area, although it is widely considered to be divided between Netherton Village, (which consists of privately owned housing) and includes the old Netherton Village Green; and the large council estate built by Bootle Borough on the other side of the Leeds Liverpool Canal.

The estate is unusual in the fact that many of the houses are still occupied by the same residents who moved in as young couples (many of the men had seen active service during the war) with families when the houses were brand new fifty years ago. The social profile of the first resident population does not comply to modern notions of council estate dwellers. Many of these people were hard working people with middle class aspirations, whose lives and careers were interrupted and often changed forever by the Second World War. However, the demographics of the Netherton area have changed significantly over time. A large number of the male residents moved in from all parts of the country to be key skilled workers at the English Electric Factory heavy engineering works on Dunnings Bridge Road.

The main part of Netherton which is centred around Marian Square, was a large Bootle council estate, built in the mid 1950s, to alleviate housing shortages in Bootle after the heavy bombing the town suffered during the Second World War. Historical records show that of about 18,000 houses in Bootle, only about 1,000 survived the German bombings completely intact. A remaining 16,000 houses were partially damaged and over a thousand completely destroyed. Most people only associate the Blitz with London, but actually Bootle, with its large number of docks, was worse hit. All the major Atlantic Convoys sailed out of Liverpool and Bootle docks.

The Sefton Estate (which includes Stonyfield, Waterside, Harrops Croft and Higher End Park)was built by Lancashire county council some 10 years after the Netherton estate in the mid 60's and were the first council houses in the area to have central heating.

The Marian Square is opposite the health centre in Magdalene Square (the two squares are divided by Glovers Lane, and should not be confused). The first shops (approximately 5 including a health clinic and opticians) were built on Magdalene Square and were later demolished when the new shops and first new post office on Marian Square were opened. The original plans for the redevelopment for Magdalene Square, which were on view as a model in Bootle Town Hall in 1965, were for a 22 storey tower block and a leisure complex including swimming pool. Neither of which were built (probably due to a lack of further investment in the area).

There were also plans for a large ring road to link the motorways at Switch Island, running across fields to the north of the Sefton estate with the centre of Bootle and the landward side of Crosby, along a corridor of land which included the Rimrose Valley. The council compusorily purchased land along this corridor but the road was never built. There is a large mound of earth next to the small church near the Cabbage Inn (near the present fire station); which shows the start of the earthworks for the flyover linking the proposed ring road to the goods depot on the railway line near the Girobank building on Netherton Way. The proposed ring road is shown on some old Liverpool A to Z street plans.

The unused land in the Rimrose Valley was made into an area of parkland, and new houses are finally being built on the old allotments at the other end of the Rimrose Valley in Litherland.

There is another housing estate situated across Dunningsbridge Road between the main housing area and Aintree Racecourse , adjacent to the old English Electric factory, which was given the nickname 'Dodge City'-this was the estate built before the Marian Square estate.

Contrary to misguided notions that this name is due to deprivation or crime rates; the area was called Dodge City because of the excess amounts of sand present whilst building work commenced; in recent years however the nickname 'Dodge City' has come to be applied to the whole of Netherton by those ignorant of its origins.

Notable firms which hold, or once held, premises in Netherton include:- Braby's; English Electric; Forticrete; Metal Box; Movie (cleaning products); National Girobank; Peerless Refining Co.; North West Timber; Porter Chadburn; Post Office Telecommunications (British Telecom.); Scott's Bakery (now part of Allied Bakeries) and now the site of a large trading estate including cinema, Matalan store and a pub called the Bakers Dozen; Wimpey and to Alliance and Leicester.

Netherton was formerly the home of the Everton F.C. youth academy, which has now been relocated to Finch Farm.The land was previously a fire station (the old brick building on the site) and the grounds of Littlewoods Social Club

History & Local government

Netherton was anciently a township associated with the parish of Sefton, becoming an independent civil parish in 1866. It became part of Sefton Rural District under the Local Government Act 1894, and then West Lancashire Rural District in 1932.

Netherton parish lost areas to the county borough of Bootle in 1940, 1951 and 1968 (reducing the parish from in 1931 to in 1951). The residual parish no longer exists, forming part of Sefton parish.

The area has been a part of the Metropolitan Borough of Sefton since local government reorganisation in 1974.

Architecture

The oldest houses are to be found at the heart of the old hamlet of Netherton, clustered around the green in what is now known as Netherton Village, just north of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal. The old catholic church of St. Benet nearby was built in 1793. Unusually it appears as an ordinary house from the road with the church backing onto what was once open fields. A modern church was built over the road in the 1970s.

Nowadays, Netherton is formed with many modern housing, the most recent being the George Wimpey estate, completed in 2000, built just from Netherton Village green. Housing in this part of Netherton is considered rather desirable, unlike the council-owned housing closer to the town's shopping amenities.

Education

Netherton is home to three secondary schools: St Ambrose Barlow RC High School, Bootle High School and Savio High School.

Transport

Netherton is served by two railway-stations: Aintree and Old Roan, on the Merseyrail network. The Old Roan station is technically in Aintree, but is on the border between the two areas. Old Roan bus station is next to the railway-station. Buses run from here and Magdalene Square into central Liverpool (those from Magdalene Square also serve parts of Bootle) as well as North to Maghull, Ormskirk and Southport.

The area is situated close to the major interchange, Switch Island, at the end of the M57 and M58 motorways.

The Leeds and Liverpool Canal flows through Netherton and whilst this provides a local amenity, there is very little boat traffic on this stretch of its course.

References

External links

Search another word or see bakers-dozenon Dictionary | Thesaurus |Spanish
Copyright © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature
FAVORITES
RECENT

;