L.I.G.H.T. Christian Academy
, or Learners' In God's Home Today Christian Academy
(Abbreviation: LCA; Filipino: Paaralang Kristiyano ng L.I.G.H.T.; Simplified Chinese: 义光学校; Traditional Chinese: 義光學校; Pinyin: Yĭguāng Xúexìao; Hokkien: Gí-kéng Hák Hào), is a privately operated educational institution, established in 2000 and opened its doors to students on June 19
. It is currently the only Chinese Filipino
Christian school currently using the system.
The school is affiliated with the Accelerated Christian Education, which is internationally based in Seminole, Florida, and locally in Parañaque City, Philippines. It is located at a building along Banawe Avenue and Del Monte Avenue in Quezon City.
Under the Accelerated Christian Education system, students are placed in cubicles for most of the time in the learning center each day and study through individual booklets on each unit of work known as PACEs, or Packets of Accelerated Christian Education. As such, the school operates with a head teacher, also known as supervisor, and two assistant teachers, or monitors. Additional non-PACE units of study are present in teaching Chinese as foreign language, where conventional methods of teaching are being used. In the Chinese subject, Mandarin Chinese and Lannang-oe (Philippine Hokkien) are being used as media of instruction.
The courses of High School students in L.I.G.H.T. Christian Academy are as follows:
- Math: Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, Trigonometry, Business Mathematics, Calculus, College Mathematics
- English: English 1, English 2, American Literature, British Literature
- Science: Biology, Physical Science, Chemistry, Physics
- Social Studies: Philippine History, Asian History, World History, José Rizal Studies, Economics
- Filipino: Filipino 1, Filipino 2, Filipino 3, Filipino 4
- Bible: Old Testament Survey, New Testament Survey, Life of Christ
- Electives: Accounting, General Business, Geography, Fine Arts, French, Health, Spanish, Speech, Typing
- Music: Guitar, Piano
- Physical Education: Karate-do and Swimming
The school is also unique in one respect - while other A.C.E. Schools promote individual response to the PACEs or workbooks, L.I.G.H.T. Christian Academy provides a tutorial system for Mathematics and Science twice a week to provide for adequate learning experience.
L.I.G.H.T. Christian Academy also offers a comprehensive review of College Entrance Examination that is opened to students and non-students alike.
L.I.G.H.T. Christian Academy places value on both the academic and social aspects of the students' lives, and as such, the school holds:
- Annual Youth Camps: peer counseling, rendezvous with the Lord, uplifting messages, and singspiration
- Chapel Hour: featuring inspiring Christian messages and camaraderie with students.
- National Tournaments: held among A.C.E. Schools throughout the Philippines
- Scholastic Competitions: chess, declamation, spelling
- Sports Championships
L.I.G.H.T. Christian Academy currently has a total of 18 graduates, of which 10 graduated directly from the school. Of these 19 graduates, 17 are in schools in the Philippines: 6 are currently in the De La Salle University-Manila
, and another 6 are in University of Santo Tomas
. L.I.G.H.T. has also one graduate each currently in University of the Philippines
, De La Salle-College of Saint Benilde
, Chiang Kai Shek College
, Far Eastern University
, and Informatics
. The 2 students in the United States are both in Raritan Valley College
. One is a scholar in Informatics
There are currently 2 L.I.G.H.T. graduates pursuing post-graduate degrees in the University of the Philippines and the Ateneo de Manila University, while two graduates are currently affiliated with ABS-CBN and Starbucks Coffee.
- Accelerated Christian Education (School of Tomorrow Philippines)
- Association of L.I.G.H.T. Christian Academy alumni