Auray

Auray

Auray, town (1990 pop. 10,323), Morbihan dept., NW France, in Brittany, on the Auray River estuary. Oysters are bred, food is canned, and furniture is manufactured. Nearby the decisive battle of the War of the Breton Succession took place (1364). On the Champ des Martyrs, also near Auray, some 800 royalists, who had landed at Quiberon, were massacred (1795). North of the town is the famous Basilica of Sainte-Anne-d'Auray, built in Renaissance style in the 19th cent. Pilgrimages to the shrine have occurred every July 26 since the 17th cent., when a peasant, Yves Nicolazic, claimed to have seen a vision of St. Anne.

Auray (An Alre) is a commune in the Morbihan department in the Bretagne region in northwestern France.

The centre of the town is the place de la République, which contains an 18th century town hall and a covered market. The neighbouring square, contains a 17th century church dedicated to Saint Gildas with a Renaissance porch.

The harbour area of Saint Goustan contains half-timbered 15th and 16th century houses built around cobbled streets, and a 17th century stone bridge (Called Pont Neuf - New Bridge) crossing the River Loch.

History

Demographics

Inhabitants of Auray are called Alréens.

As of the census of 1999, the town has a population of .

See also

External links

Search another word or see aurayon Dictionary | Thesaurus |Spanish
Copyright © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature
FAVORITES
RECENT

;