Definitions

artie tappan

Tappan, New York

Tappan is a hamlet (and a census-designated place) in the Town of Orangetown Rockland County, New York, United States located north of Old Tappan, New Jersey; east of Nauraushaun and Pearl River; south of Blauvelt and west of Palisades and Sparkill. The population was 6,757 at the 2000 census.

History

1691

The first County Courthouse was built in Tappan, though by 1737, sessions alternated between Tappan and Goshen.

1711

The first school house in Rockland County was built in Tappan. It was used as a school until 1860. There would not be another school in the county until late in the 18th century.

1774

The Orangetown Resolutions were adopted in 1774 at the home and inn of Loyalist Yoast Mabie, a Dutch colonial house built by his cousin Casparus Mabie in Tappan when Great Britain increased its taxes on tea and crops, prompting protest from local patriots on Monday, July 4 1774, two years to the date before adopting the Declaration of Independence.

1780

Loyalist Yoast Mabie home known as "Mabie's Inn" was the place of confinement of British Major John André, who plotted with American General Benedict Arnold to surrender West Point to the British.

Today the house is use as a restaurant operating daily as the "The Old '76 House."

1780 - 1783

General George Washington, who in 1789 became the first president of the United States, used the 1700 DeWint House, Rockland County's oldest existing structure in Tappan as his headquarters four times and dined at The Old '76 House during the American Revolution.

1780

British Major John André, who conspired with Benedict Arnold to buy the plans for the fortifications at West Point to the British, was captured in Tarrytown on his way back to the British lines with the plans. Major John André was brought to Tappan and confined at "The Old 76 House" and brought to trial at the Reformed Church of Tappan; he was found guilty, hanged and buried nearby.

Strickland, Major André's executioner, who was confined at the camp in Tappan as a dangerous Tory during André's trial, was granted liberty for accepting the duty of hangman and returned to his home in the Ramapo Valley or Smith's Clove and no further knowledge of him is known.

Joshua Hett Smith who was connected with Major André with the attempted treason was also brought to trial at the Reformed Church of Tappan. The trial lasted four week and ended in acquittal for lack of evidence.

1790

Cereo, first baby food, was manufactured by Macy Deming at the Haring Adams (Deming) House.

2007

Tappan Fire Department 100th anniversary was celebrated on October 13 2007 with a Mardi Gras-style parade, complete with beaded necklaces and confetti.

The Old '76 House

Located on 110 Main St, Tappan, just past the village green near the center of town is "America's Third Oldest Public House" - The Old '76 House, one of America's oldest taverns. It is of particular interest to Maybee/Mabie/Mabee researchers. The Maybees were a much-divided family during the American Revolutionary War. Casparus Mabie, a cousin of the Loyalist Maybees, built The Old '76 House, then known as "Mabie's Inn", the home of Yoast Mabie in 1755. The Orangetown Resolutions were adopted at Yoast Mabie's home on July 4 1774, two years prior to the date of adopting the Declaration of Independence.

The Old '76 House was often used during The American Revolutionary War. Through its long use as a meeting place for patriots, it established itself as safe ground for Americans in the midst of the revolution and also served as the "prison" of the Revolution's most notorious spy as denoted by the historical marker in the front, Major John André.

The Old '76 House, although often referred to as "André's Prison", was not a real prison nor used as a place of incarceration for anyone before or since.

The Old '76 House was expanded in 1755 to accommodate stage coach passengers, and has been a place of shelter for tired travelers for more than three hundred years. It has accommodated, on various occasions, every General of the west wing of the Continental Army, including Commander-in-Chief General George Washington, who, with his chief provisioner Samuel Fraunces, owner of Fraunces Tavern in New York City, dined in the comfortable atmosphere of the House.

Geography

Tappan is located at (41.025897, -73.951180).

According to the United States Census Bureau, the region has a total area of 2.8 square miles (7.2 km²), all land.

Demographics

As of the census of 2000, there were 6,757 people, 2,261 households, and 1,887 families residing in the community. The population density was 2,423.0 per square mile (935.1/km²). There were 2,294 housing units at an average density of 822.6/sq mi (317.5/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 82.27% White, 1.27% African American, 0.12% Native American, 13.51% Asian, 0.07% Pacific Islander, 1.48% from other races, and 1.27% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6.36% of the population.

There were 2,261 households out of which 37.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 73.6% were married couples living together, 7.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 16.5% were non-families. 13.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.98 and the average family size was 3.27.

In the region the population was spread out with 24.9% under the age of 18, 6.2% from 18 to 24, 26.0% from 25 to 44, 28.1% from 45 to 64, and 14.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 94.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.8 males.

The median income for a household in the area was $86,435, and the median income for a family was $91,827. Males had a median income of $57,750 versus $40,707 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $32,811. About 2.3% of families and 3.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.9% of those under age 18 and 7.4% of those age 65 or over.

Tourism

Historical Markers

  • 1700 DeWint House - Oak Tree Road & Livingston Avenue.
  • André Monument, Old Tappan Road. & 42 Andre Hill Road
  • General Lafayette, Western Highway. & Christine Lane
  • Hickory Hill Cooperative, Hickory Hill & Old Tappan Rds
  • The First Court House,Tappan Green
  • Trial of Andre, 32 Old Tappan Road
  • Washington’s Camp, Western Highway & Christine Lane

Landmarks and places of Interest

  • André Monument - Andre Hill, south of Old Tappan Road - 1/2 mile west of Railroad Crossing - Marks reported site of execution of Major John André, hanged for espionage.
  • The Academy. Built in 1843 as a private school on land leased by the church.
  • Bartow-Samett Town House - Built in 1835 by Morris Bartow. Adjacent to the The Old 76 House. Probable site of Yost Mabie's house where the Orangetown Resolutions were sign in 1774.
  • Bogert-Haring House - Late eighteenth century sandstone house which was home to nine generations of Bogerts and Harings.
  • Cardona House - First Rockland County schoolhouse. Built of stone and brick in 1711 on church land and used as a school until 1860.
  • 1700 DeClark-DeWint House - 20 Livingston Street - Built in 1700, oldest house in Rockland County. To the northwest and northeast of the front entrance of the 1700 DeWint house are The Carriage House and a stone mill respectfully. At the rear of house stand 7-initialed headstones which came from a nearby property. It is believed these headstones marked where the slaves of that home were buried.
  • Haring-Adams House - Built in 1790.
  • Manse - Kings Highway & 28 Old Tappan Road - Built of stone in 1726 on land donated by five of the surviving 16 origianal Tappan patentees, Daniel deClerk, Peter Haring, Johannes Blauvelt, Lambert Smith and Cosyn Haring, the Manse is considered to be oldest parsonage in continuous use in United States. Architecture is typical Hudson Valley Dutch colonial, ornamentation on exterior being added later. Restructured 1788; frame wing added about 1830. There is a historical marker at this site. Reverend Samuel Verbryck, friend of Washington, who helped found Rutgers University, resided here.
  • Mabie-Beech House - Built in 1835 by Cornelius Mabie.
  • The Old 76 House (Mabie's House)- 110 Main Street. Tavern since the 18th century.
  • Reformed Church of Tappan - Kings Highway - 32 Old Tappan Road - Organized as Low Dutch Christian Reformed Church of Tappan 1694, it is oldest congregation in Rockland County. Present church (third) was built in 1835. The second church, enlarged in 1788, was scene of Major John André's trial. The church was also used as prison/hospital after Baylor Massacre in 1778.
  • Village Church Green - West of the Reformed Church of Tappan. This site was the first Orange County courthouse until 1798 (Rockland County was a part of Orange County). Destroyed by fire along with the jail in 1773. The green had a whipping post and stocks, a stray cattle pound and during the American Revolution, a Liberty Pole (flag pole).
  • Tappan Tar Barrel Elm site - located in the middle of Oak Tree Road just south of the Sparkill Creek. It was part of the Revolutionary War Alarm System. A flaming tar barrel was to be hoisted to the top of the tree if the British were to approach. It was used just once as a signal, in 1783, that Washington and Carleton agreed to a prisoner exchange and the evacuation of New York. It was cut down in 1953.
  • Tappan Library - Built in 1750. Four additions have been added since. Destroyed in the late 1990s by an ill-advised renovation.
  • Tappantown Historical Society

References

External links

Search another word or see artie tappanon Dictionary | Thesaurus |Spanish
Copyright © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature