The term aquatic
refers to "things" that are in or of the water
but not to water itself, and can refer to the following:
- Plants and/or animals living in oceans, estuaries, lakes, rivers, streams, wetlands, and ponds (aquatic environments).
- Water, as in rivers, lakes, oceans, groundwater, is NOT aquatic. Surface water bodies like rivers, lakes, etc. and groundwater are better referred to as Water Resources.
- Shorthand for an aquatic plant.
- Aquatic ecology (limnology), a discipline that uses the principles and methods of ecology to study natural organisms that live in water, and thus make up Aquatic ecosystems.
- Aquatic ecosystem, an ecosystem located in a body of water.
- Aquatics, another name for watersports.