The municipality has a population of 35,581 and an area of 239.0 km². It is bordered by Praia da Vitória to the east.
The present Mayor is Andreia Martins Cardoso da Costa, elected by the Socialist Party.
It was classified as a World Heritage site by UNESCO in 1983.
The 19 parishes of Angra do Heroísmo are:
About 70% of the parishes have 1,000 people and 88.71% of the population live in parishes with population over 1,000. About 11.3% of the population live in parishes with less than 1,000 people. The most populated parish is Nossa Senhora da Conceição and least populated is Serreta. The largest parish geographically is Porto Judeu and the smallest is Santa Luzia.
Angra occupies the south coast of Terceira. It is the headquarters of a military command, and the residence of a Roman Catholic bishop. Its principal buildings are the cathedral, military college, arsenal and observatory. The harbour, now of little commercial or strategic importance, but formerly a celebrated naval station, is sheltered on the west and south-west by the promontory of Monte Brasil, but it is inferior to the neighbouring ports of Ponta Delgada and Horta. The foreign trade is not large, and consists chiefly in the exportation of beef meat, dairy products and some fish. Angra was claimed to have been founded by Álvaro Martins, who sailed with Didrik Pining on his expedition to the New world and Bartolomeu Dias on his voyage around the Cape of Good Hope. Angra served as a refuge for Queen Maria II of Portugal from 1830 to 1833. It also served as refuge for Almeida Garrett during the Napoleonic Wars.
Angra has a soccer team, named Angrense which is part of the Associação de Futebol de Angra do Heroísmo. Sport Clube Lusitânia is the main soccer team in the island. The region's soccer association is located in Angra do Heroísmo.